1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: no flash install permission XP home

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by computerhater, Oct 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. computerhater

computerhater Thread Starter

- recently, in trying to combat a particularly nasty hacker that corrupted my last hard drive so bad i couldn't reformat it and put a password virus on it, i bought another hard drive that's already infected and i've found three trojans with superantispyware plus more in a previous scan despite having this drive less than a month. my PC would totally lock up when trying to watch videos, so i started deleting flash, java and disabling active X when scans with SaS, avast, malwarebytes, stinger, hijackthis, anti-malware, threatfire & eset nod online, and uninstalling C++ couldn't stop the slowdown and got rid of SOME of the problem tonight with autorun unchecking several citrix systems' programs that shouldn't be on my PC with several of them being malicious according to research, but now i can't get flash working again. i've also noticed some kind of block that refuses to let me install explorer 8. i've tried the "right click as administrator" trick to install flash 11 but only get current user and my named user without a password options, neither of which worked. - i've also tried unzipping reset_fp11.bat.zip in the flash 11 folder to no avail per adobe's own suggestion and keep getting the same a required file (H:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromedia\Flash\FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe:5) could not be written due to insufficient permissions error message. it could be that i deleted that option with hijackthis as i ONLY allow windows and security programs. since starting to use threatfire and anti-malware, i've noticed i keep getting internet connection popups i shouldn't be seeing when using GOM media player or installing programs if that makes any difference. - i'm convinced there's some hack back door buried in one or my archive drives i can't find that keeps my from EVER getting rid of this hack no matter how many times i reformat and have to buy new (used) drives when one is so corrupted it breaks or can't be reformatted. i'd rather not have to re-format yet again after already wasting 4 hours trying to watch a simple yahoo news video. is there another option i'm overlooking? if i have to. i'll reformat, but would appreciate it if someone could suggest a better security measure to lock my hacker out from the start like a "port checker" whatchamacallit that closes those invisible back doors or some other pre-emptive strike option. i haven't been able to find a solution to this ever. every time i solve an attack temporarily, it resurfaces the next day.

2. pip22

pip22

Sounds like your firewall is not able enough, the one built in to XP certainly isn't. You need a third-party firewall. I use Norton Internet Security and I've never had any of the problems you've had - none at all in fact. For good protection you have to pay for it.

Wipe your drive (not just a format) with DBAN from a bootable CD: http://www.dban.org/ (some malware can survive a format, but not when wiped with DBAN).

Then re-install Windows and immediately install a decent firewall ( plus antivirus of course).

3. computerhater

computerhater Thread Starter

OK. thanks. something i read said XP firewall is good enough, but like everything windows, it's hacker bait i'm sure. i was going to look into a router for an extra layer of firewall, but i haven't heard about dban yet. i'll add that to my knowledge of anti-hack tools. i always thought a re-format, when you can even pull one off, wipes EVERYTHING off a drive. for the longest time, i've wanted to get ONE clean install so i can make a disc image, but my understanding is that you need an extra hard drive for that because you can't put one on CDs or even DVDs now. when you say "bootable CD", you're not talking about my XP disc are you? as far as i recall, it has to be installed. boot CDs, disc images and safe mode are all alien territory to me. i've always relied on reformatting as a last resort. i'll try keyword searching boot CDs to learn more about them. it's so hard staying ahead of the curve. just when you think "reformat solves everything", you learn it doesn't. i'm still waiting for PCs to work in plain english without voodoo mumbo jumbo "what the heck is that?" file names. it looks like i have some homework now. thanks for your help. at one point, i was REALLY close to being ready to make a disc image when i had everything set up just the way i wanted it, including custom icons without the annoying shortcut arrows when i got that drive i can't reformat or even access. you wouldn't happen to know of an anti-bloatware program that does all those tedious registry setting to disable unneeded processes that slow PCs down and other useful tasks? i like to run a bare minimum of programs and if i could, i'd delete windows media player & outlook express etc. i've lost the registry trimming info i had to disable as much bloat as possible, but it seems like someone should just make a program that does it automatically. thanks again. oh! i see... dban itself is a "boot disk". novel idea.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You need to continue with this thread instead of starting a new thread for your issues with that computer.

The Windows XP disc does all the work - formatting, partitioning, installing, etc.. There's no need to use any third-party utilities.

You also need to get Windows XP completely up-to-date and insure all devices are working before you start loading that computer with a bunch of programs and extras.

And if you're insistent on using registry "cleaner/fixer" type utilities, you can expect to have issues.

------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1072230

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice