1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: No icon for Wireless Networks after new HD cable

Discussion in 'Networking' started by HUBIE, Sep 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HUBIE

HUBIE Thread Starter

So my HD cable went bad on my Latitude D420. Replaced and now laptop reads HD but I had no wireless connection icon on bottom right. So I checked Wireless Zero and all was ok, I checked Devices and all are installed and say working properly. There are NO yellow question marks in Devices. My other computers in the same house and same area pick up the wireless router and networks. The laptop does not have an on/off wireless switch. There is no wireless network showing up under Networks in the control panel. I am at a loss. All I did was replace the HD cable and reinstall the network drivers. Please help!:confused:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 430 @ 2.27GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3956 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4330, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 159993 MB, Free - 92935 MB; D: Total - 306837 MB, Free - 306445 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 00W15K

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Is your only issue the lack of some icon in the Notification Area or do you have some additional problem?

I doubt that. At the time of that laptop Dell was still using the Fn + F2 key combination for the wireless switch.

3. HUBIE

HUBIE Thread Starter

Well, without the icon, I can't see any wireless networks, including mine.

Did the Fn + F2 key combination. Didn't help. But thanks.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What is listed in Device Manager under Network Adapters?

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
    Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

5. HUBIE

HUBIE Thread Starter

Under Device Manager Network Adapters it says 1394 Net Adapter #2 and Broadcom NeXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller.

When I run ipconfig /all, the black screen flashes for a split second and then disappears! Grrrrrr....Help!:(

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    No sign of the wireless adapter. Check in the BIOS to see if it somehow became disabled there.

You can probably access the wireless card through a cover on the laptop's bottom. Remove and carefully and firmly replace the card several times to cure any possible looseness or corrosion issues.

Probably because you ran it in a Run box instead of in a Command Prompt window? :)

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    On the right hand side your wireless switch is there.

8. HUBIE

HUBIE Thread Starter

How do I check in the Bios? Is it possible I didn't reinstall the wireless adapter drivers from the CD when I reinstalled the other network drivers? Did I miss it? What should it look like?

You can probably access the wireless card through a cover on the laptop's bottom. Remove and carefully and firmly replace the card several times to cure any possible looseness or corrosion issues.

Oops...you caught me. Yes, that is what I did. Not very good at following directions am I? :eek:

9. HUBIE

HUBIE Thread Starter

Ok, thanks!

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Upon power on tap whatever key (F2 or F10 or F12 or Esc or whatever) is used to access the BIOS on your laptop.

Yes, but I didn't ask about warnings or errors in Device Manager because you said, "There are NO yellow question marks in Devices." If there is a device that is missing a driver it is quite possibly your wireless adapter.

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I'm checking the service manual now. It seems you would have not gone to the wireless card so either its in Dev Manager or you have turned it off.

12. HUBIE

HUBIE Thread Starter

And then what?

There are no yellow question marks. But you said you see no wireless adaptor. I thought the Broadcom one WAS the wireless adaptor. I guess I don't understand this at all. Maybe I shouldn't be taking apart computers! :eek:

Can you explain what you mean? You don't see a wireless adaptor...or is it a driver issue....?

13. HUBIE

HUBIE Thread Starter

The switch is on. Or did you mean the adaptor? It doesn't even SEE any wireless networks...

14. HUBIE

HUBIE Thread Starter

BIOS: "The internal WiFi Device is enabled."

15. HUBIE

HUBIE Thread Starter

Found the card, reseated it and it worked!! Whew! Thanks for all the help!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!