1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: No IDE Master HDD Detected

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Toti, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Toti

Toti Thread Starter

Hi guys.

Beforehand thanks for help and pls. forgive my English no my first language and my ignorance at this respect , but doing my best :eek:

We change the H.D.D's. from the old Dell to a regular case ATX standard.
    This is the trouble:
    -----------------------------------
    The First H.D.D - IBM Desktstar 3.5 inch ATA/IDE hard disk is set to Master as per instructions in the manual , link:
    http://www.hitachigst.com/tech/tech...7256A79006FAB0A/$file/djna-dpta-dtla_digw.pdf

The 2nd. H.D.D.- Maxtor 6L120P0 set to Primary Slave = No jumpers as it says in the hd itself, on the back.

The DVD ROM - LG GSA-4167B is set to Secondary Master - default how it was in the dell .

We turn on computer but we receive message Post No IDE Master H.D.D. Detected ! :confused:

-----------------------------------

we already tried and checked in BIOS to the ATA /IDE is recognized "enabled,activated"

Then a fast Post indicates as well that none of the
    Channel 0, 1, 2 and 3 have nothing on it .

================================

But then we have this screen that says:

Auto detecting Pri. Slave....... IDE Hard Disk
    Auto Detecting Sec Master.... ATAPI CD-ROM
    Pri Slave ; Maxtor 6l20P0 BAH41E00
    Ultra DMA mode-6 S.M.A.R.T. capable and status OK
    Sec Master : HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4167B DL13
    Ultra DMA Mode-2
    Auto-detecting USB Mass Storage Devices.........
    00 USB mass storage devices found and configured.

NO IDE Master H.D.D. Detected !
    Press F1 to resume.

========================================
    Then we press F1 and take us to BIOS, were we check for the ATA/IDE enabled, but no success what are we doing wrong?
    we place the jumpers as they say in the manual, :( are we missing something) :confused:

We have installed windows Pro 32 bit in the IBM hard drive.

Thnk

Toti

2. Toti

Toti Thread Starter

I'm looking in between my computer drawer, if I can find more jumpers.... to see if I can make the Maxtor Master and then I just use the ones of the IBM, to make it the Slave and see if I can boot my computer .
    Dono if its gonna work but is worth to try, since the original layout way...... didn't worked so .......

I just need another cup o coffe and try it.... brb

Toti

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i would just swap the devices around to see if its the drive or the actual channel - change the maxtor to a master and the IBM to a slave - see if both detected
    you could also try the IBM on the 2nd IDE channel as master and change the CD to slave - or leave OFF the cable as its just a process of elimination to prove if the HDD is faulty or the channel or cable......
    i edited your post to make the PDF file linkable

cross post - was reading the pdf file before i clicked on post - so missed that you are already thing of doing that

4. Toti

Toti Thread Starter

HI etaf
    Thks for helping me in this one.

Yes I already swap the drives and In BIOS under HDD drives I can read both HDD's.
    So this is what I did:
    I place the IBM as slave and the MAXTOR as master.
    But when I try to boot into the MAXTOR it says Ntldr not found press CTl Alt Del. for restart. :( I try booting into IBM and it loops into the safe mode configuration screen.
    so I should go back to Old configuration ?

Thnk for editing to make link available :)

So now what I'm missing?
    ---------------------------------------------
    I'm going to have a NAP my eyes are closing , I brb in a couple of hrs, to have a fresh memory .
    Toti

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you need to have a boot file on the HDD to actually boot and that would be the master on the IDE channel - so I dont think the Maxtor has had software installed to be a boot volume - correct - so you cant boot that
    Interesting that when you changed the drives around IBM - Slave and Maxtor - Master both drives are seen - I would suspect theres something going on with the Jumpers on the IBM making it master...... you may want to check the jumper links again

you may also have problems putting the IBM into a new system and expecting the software to work with a new motherboard, there are drivers loaded onto that IBM
    Make sure the bios can see both drives on the system and then you will need to install new software windows or whatever you want to run ...
    It may be worth looking at UBUNTU - at least that will run off the CD as a virtual software and test the harddrives and all the hardware

let us know exactly what you are trying to do by changing the box, and what make model of motherboard you have.

if interested in UBUNTU
    UBUNTU
    It may be possible to boot from another Operating System
    This will at least test the Hardware

If you have another PC with a cdwriter and spare CD
    goto http://www.ubuntu.com/ and download the ISO

full details are here http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

click on the image "download ubuntu"
    Select a location
    then begin download
    Save the file onto your PC – remember where you saved it – so you can find it again to create the image bootable CD.

You do NOT copy the ISO file onto a CD - you have to use the ISO to create a bootable CD
    The CD creator software you have on the PC may have an option to create an image from an ISO
    If not - use this free program http://www.imgburn.com/

When the UBUNTU CD boots - you will see the following options
    1) Try ubunto without any change to your computer
    2) Install ubuntu
    3) Check CD for defects
    4) Test memory
    5) Boot from first hard disk.

Use OPTION 1 "Try ubunto without any change to your computer" ONLY this option this will run from the CD and not install onto your harddrive - be careful, if you do install onto the PC - you will wipe the data and software OFF your hard drive.., so repeat only use option 1

Now you should see a UBUNTU desktop
    This at least proves the main parts of the PC are working

You may see both your Harddrives on the desktop - if not have in look in the places on the tool bar at the top of the screen.

6. Toti

Toti Thread Starter

HI morning etaf.
    Yes u are correct the Maxtor don't have any O.S. installed in it , just the IBM HDD.
    So What I need to do is to put again the jumpers on the IBM as Master and the Maxtor as Slave then I need to have a - Boot file - meaning the O.S. Windows Pro 32 bit and see if it boots, do I need a boot disc ?

The estrange thing is, why does the BIOS don't see it as a Master when it supposed to see it by default, if the jumpers are in the correct position?
    The Motherboard is a ASUS PRD1-VM .

We are changing the case because in the dell she can't upgrade no more memory and the processor is old :( , so we have this case and all the hardware that was mine after, all was working ok.

Question do I need to put the Instal disc of the Windows Pro again ? or the Disc of the motherboard ? at teh Post image?

Thansk for helping me Etaf and if any thing works we def. wil see at ubutnu , but we dont we dont want to loose the data in teh HDD. :(

Toti

7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    hi its evening here in UK :)

Well I would start by using UBUNTU - connect the disks as you last had them working - create the UBUNTU CD run from the CD - DO NOT Install - and then copy the data off the harddrives - FIRST - make sure thats all safe

you should be able to copy the data to a USB drive

would you mind clarifying details of the hardware - my point would be - taking the hardrive out of say a Dell PC and putting it into a compaq PC or homebuilt PC - its unlikely it will boot - because the hardware motherboard and the drivers are different.
    so can you detaill what came from what on all your hadware ?

8. Toti

Toti Thread Starter

OK so you are saying that ther's no way to fix this doing it by jumpers , that we need to Install a new Operating system ?
    So we need to reformat the Hdd.

The thing I dont understand is why it just dont even recognize we have a HDD called IBM, just the Maxtor is recognized?
    Pls. sorry the question is just i dont get it we have a Boot file in the IBM HDD as you told us in one of the posts so..... what are we mising, we are stumble? :( , It will not happen even Installing Ubuntu?

Sorry this is Katty, Toti (went back to sleep for a nap) so I try to see what's going on I was sleeping last nite and T stay awake all nite trying to solved this, :(

Thanks for ur help.

T and K

9. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Not 100% - we have two issues here - 1) the jumpers should still be able to be set so that the bios sees the Harddrives correctly and 2) Booting up a pre-installed windows system hard disk on a different PC from the one it was created on - I would say limited chance - but maybe possible if the motherboards hardware are the same...
    Yes it should recognise the IBM drive in bios .... thats is a problem and maybe because the jumpers are not set correctly.

UBUNTU should see both the drives the IBM set as a slave and the maxtor set as master - which the PC recognised - and then you can at least get the data OFF so thats safe ....
    then its getting the IBM to be recognised as master on the PC
    then its getting the software on the PC to boot - if it does manage to boot - it may not be reliable
    then its using a full windows CD (NOT a recovery CD used for a different PC - that will not work, you need a windows CD ) Boot and Install the windows CD onto the new system - download all the drivers for the hardware on the PC - motherboard chipset, audio, video, network will all need to be found

10. Toti

Toti Thread Starter

Ah.. okidoki.

Yes I have my original install disc of Windows as T. have her Disc of the Motherboard as well.

Tak a lot for explaining me , now I understand a bit more what's going on , T understand a lil more about computers than me :( (blush) ..... So I'll let her know about it , just asking because this are my HDD's and T. got an upgrade and I thought ..oh well me too want one :) but ..oyoyoyy I didn't know were I was getting into.

But It's cool and interesting :) thanks a lot for helping us, I will let T to handle more this, I will observe and help with the basics, just to be in the safe side .

Oh.... she's waking up now, gonna prepare some more coffee and tea for me and we will start Ubuntu.
    Thanks etaf
    ;)

K n T.

11. Toti

Toti Thread Starter

ok hi etaf.
    Sorry I was to tired.
    I already download image of Ubuntu and instal as you instructed and luckily, I was able to open the HDD's and be able to see the files OK .
    I'm saving all the data from User as much we ca in a external HD.

Then I think were gonna have to reinstall windows ...right ? with all the Data disc from the motherboard ?
    Is that correct ?

OK .

Toti

12. Toti

Toti Thread Starter

OK... the back up file transfer is done now just rest to start installing the new O.S. and then install the drivers for mobo. and see if all goes ok .

Oh I have to make a new Floopy with the Mobo files, when ask F6 correct OK .

Brb. :)

Toti

13. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    As the drives are IDE you should be OK - thats if you have sata drives and need to load the sata drivers before the windows CD can see the harddrive

did you get the IBM to be a master?

You will also lose any programs you installed on the machine - and will need to re-install those from the original program CD you had

You may need other drivers for any hardware added to the mobo - video / audio /network etc -
    Looking at the Mobo - did you mean ASUS P5RD1-VM
    if so looks like most of the hardware is included on the board, audio,video,lan etc
    heres a link to the drivers for that board, assuming thats the model you meant
    http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?modelname=P5RD1-VM&SLanguage=en-us
    from the dropdown choose your operating system windows Xp, Vista etc

14. Toti

Toti Thread Starter

HI etaf .
    Yes I already make the IBM HDD to be a Master and Maxtor slave , I have to dig in my drawer to find those lil jumpers :).

So ...Yes I reformat the HDD from IBM to Install Windows 7. but I kept the Maxtor intact. now we couldn't install the floppy with the chipsets and Uli Sata drivers from the original disc of the motherboard ASUS P5RD1-VM .
    In another note I was not able to find ULI sats drivers for Windows 7 :(

So....now I encounter a problem when Windows Seven ended teh Install all OK..

In device manager i have with a Yellow sign Other devices and under this tab I found as wel with yellow sign :
    Ethernet Controller
    RAID CONTROLLER
    Unknown Device

Now.. under System Devices found with Yellow sign this one:
    PCI standard PCI -to- PCI bridge

and I open the properties of the Unknown Device and found values fo Hardware Ids
    ACPI\ATK010 and ATK0110 No driver.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

So how can i Install all this drivers that I need and from were, I try installing from my Motheboard disc but says are not supporte dby my new Operating system :( so Now Im stuck !!

The video card it's already installed inside the case, but is not recognized ..yet, I know I have to download the drivers first , then chipsets, ULI sata etc, then disable VGA and enable the new hardware.
    But were can I find those ULI SATA CONTROLLER etc... from Windows 7.

Thanks

Toti

15. Toti

Toti Thread Starter

One question does the Windows x64 or Windows Vista x64 motherboard drivers from ASUS P5RD1-VM will work?

I just can't find the ones for Windows 7 :( .
    As I say , I installed Windows 7 x64 and In the Install process it didn't gave me the option to install my old floppy with the ULI SATA and sound chipset etc. from the motherboard.

Now.... when I tried to Installed the Mobo drivers from the floppy into the system, ( after Install of W7 ) , it appears a Pop-Pup telling me that , those drivers are not compatible with this version of Windows?!
    Now I'm stuck again .......

Should I download the Windows x64 drivers and Installed just the files with no folders into a floppy to see if it works and if not......... then try the Vistax64 ones?

Thanks

Toti

using link from Asus http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?modelname=P5RD1-VM&SLanguage=en-us

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919103

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice