1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: No Instlled Driver for Network Adapter in XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by floridal, Nov 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. floridal

floridal Thread Starter

I replaced the malfunctioning HD in my Dell 2400. The I used Dell Windows XP disc and was able to get what I thought was a good install. However, in Device Manager, there are a few hardware items with yellow ? marks. I unistalled the Network Adapter, then it said Found New hardware-but I have been unable to get driver installed -though I appear to have original Dell Driver-utility disc, Any ideas?

2. Rockn

Rockn

Go to the DELL web site and support to enter your service tag. You will find all of the drivers needed to get XP set up correctly.

3. floridal

floridal Thread Starter

I downloaded all the dell drivers from their site and tried to install. As that did not work-I removed the network card and determined it was a Linskys wireless G card. Downladed the Driver from Linksys and tried to install. Will not ever initialize. Any tricks?
    linksys wants $30 to help-better to buy new card if necessary/.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What are the names in the Device Manager that have a ? next to them?

Double-click each one to open its properties window, then click the "Details" tab, then select "Hardware Id".

There should be a string that has VEN_####&DEV_#### as part of it.

Advise what the numbers and letters are that follow VEN_ and DEV_

Be careful not to make any typos because those codes are how the devices are identified.

-------------------------------------------------------

What's the 7-character service tag number of that Dell Dimension 2400?

Is the Linksys wireless-G device an external USB wireless adapter or an internal PCI wireless card?

What model number and version number is it?

-------------------------------------------------------

5. floridal

floridal Thread Starter

The Service Tag on the Dell is 13TX251.
    The Linsksys is a PC card and is a model WMP54GS (no version noted so much be version 1).
    The SM Bus Controller is not identified further but is PCT Bus 0,Device 3, Function 0.
    The Video Controller is not identified but is PCI Bus 0, Device 2, Function 0.
    For some reason the linksys card is not appearing now.

Thanks for your interest.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the support site for the Linksys WMP54GS Wireless-G PCI Adapter card.

If you click the "Download" tab, then select "Version 1.0", it'll bring up a download link for driver version 3.100.46.0 - which is for Windows XP.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the Dell support site that's specific ONLY to your Dell Dimension 2400 desktop.

Assuming it's still using the integrated Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller and it hasn't been replaced with a video card, driver version 6.14.10.4342 can be downloaded from here.

The Intel INF Update Utility 6.3.0.1007 needs to be installed first before you install any other device drivers. It can be downloaded from here.

--------------------------------------------------------------

That desktop comes with an integrated Broadcom 4401 NIC, so you must've installed the wireless card afterwards.

-------------------------------------------------------------

7. floridal

floridal Thread Starter

It is correct that the Linksys card was an add on and it continues to not be properly recognized or installed.
    So I moved the connected using the wire from the back from the modem/router to the Broadcom card and it immediately got online.
    I have a Linksys USB adapter that I can get and hopefully that will get the wireless going-in the meantime-I will try to use the wired access (I generally use my laptop-resurrecting the Dell is a bit of a project.
    thanks for your help.

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome. :) (y)

If you're going to use an external USB wireless adapter, make sure to remove the internal wireless card and uninstall any driver you have installed for it.

Make sure that Wireless Zero Configuration in Start - Run - SERVICES.MSC - OK is set on Automatic if you're going to use wireless.

--------------------------------------------------------

9. floridal

floridal Thread Starter

Have removed the Linksys Card.
    When trying to download SP for Windows XP-it keeps telling me that I do not have enough disc space.
    It reads that the total Capacity is 1.99 GB (but the Barrracuda does not come in a model less than 80GB and I believe this one is 160GB).
    Running chkdsk gives me the same info.
    So i am unable to download any XP upgrades-what am I doing wrong?

10. Rockn

Rockn

The 1.99 gb may be a recovery partition. Unless the capacity is 80GB with only 2 left available.

11. floridal

floridal Thread Starter

there is a 1.99 gb partition and unallocated 135GB. I think I need to figure out how to make the first partition larger-so that I can download SP3 and Adobe Reader-just need to figure out how.

12. floridal

floridal Thread Starter

Situation completely solved. Reinstalled Windows and formatted drive. With SP1a-I then used the ethernet to download SP3. With that Windows finally recognized the Network Controller and was able to switch to wireless.
    Much thanks to all that helped.

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I was going to suggest formatting that hard drive into a single C partition and doing a clean reinstall of XP, but I didn't think you'd want to go that route.

Anyway, I'm glad you got the problem resolved. (y)

------------------------------------------------------------------

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026282

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice