1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: No Internet connection no IP address/static or automatic

Discussion in 'Networking' started by zeldymac, Sep 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zeldymac

zeldymac Thread Starter

Please help. I have a Dell 1501 laptop with XP SP3 that I restored to factory settings, as it kept hanging. Since I done this over a month ago I cannot connect wirelessly, however the laptop did work with the ethernet cable. However from today I can't even go online using the ethernet cable as it is constantly acquiring the IP address. My router is a Netgear DG934G. Now the old Toshiba I am using to type this works with the Ethernet cable (there's no wireless adapter on this) but another laptop in the house works wirelessly fine, so I know it's not the router.
    This is what I have done so far.

1. Update Dell drivers
    2. IPCONFIG/ renew + release Flush
    3. Disable firewall
    4. Reset router
    5. DCHP are all ticked to automatic
    6. WLAN 1390 adapter working fine.
    7. Services are set to started automatic.

Mac addresses are in the router for wireless networking. Ticked acquire IP address automatically, but just times out after several attempts. If I assign a static IP address I am connected excellent etc. but I can't connect as web page not available. The laptop is sending packets, but receiving nothing, I have used this laptop wirelessly for the past 3 years and using the same router so what is causing this? Any more suggestion much appreciated!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Connect with a wired connection and try this.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2/SP3.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands, each followed by the Enter key:

Note: Type only the text in bold for the following commands.

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults, type: netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults, type: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reboot the machine.

3. zeldymac

zeldymac Thread Starter

Thanks for responding John, I've done as you suggested, however I still get "Acquiring network address", nothing more. Having trawled several forums for the answer, but this time I still haven't got the right fix.

Are there any other suggestions?

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Would you remove Mac Filtering, see if thats an issue

when you carried out the stack repair did it work correctly and not report any problems at all ?

When you re-installed to factory settings, did you have any of the DELL supplied DEMO programs - like Norton, Mcafee, etc , if so it maybe they are blocking access , there are removal tools available for these - I have posted a few below

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    {Device Manager}
    Post back the results in device manager
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program

across to the faulty PC
    Start > control Panel {Vista set to classic view}> system > {Vista, device manager on left

hand side} {XP hardware Tab, device manager button} >
    windows 7
    start > control panel> System and Security> Device Manager

network adaptors, click on the + > post back

the devices listed there
    are there any ! ? or X

post a screen shot of the device manager - network adapters

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open

the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to

suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button

to upload it here
    {ipconfig /all}
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results

into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and

post results here
    We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all post back the results here
    -> Start
    -> (XP - enter the following in the RUN box)
    cmd /k ipconfig /all
    -> (Vista or Windows 7 - enter the following in the Search box)
    cmd /k ipconfig /all

A black box will appear on the screen -
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy

then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

5. zeldymac

zeldymac Thread Starter

Ok. Removing Mac addresses did not do anything. Nothing came out on the stack repair, it returned to the next command line clear. There were no demo programs installed on laptop, only use Windows Firewall.

Tests using the Dell Lan card Utility show that the Wlan wireless networks adapter is functioning properly.

Device Manager shown in attachment.
    Command Prompt shown in attachment.

Hope this information helps.

Attached Files:

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    (from a JohnWill post)

IP addresses of 0.0.0.0 are normally caused by one of the following.

Diagnosis:
    1. DHCP Service not running.
    2. Duplicate IP address on the network.
    3. Bad NIC card drivers.
    4. Defective NIC hardware.

Resolution:
    1. Check Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services. The DHCP Client service should be Started and its Startup Type should be Automatic.
    2. Turn off ALL of the computers and other network connected devices, reboot the router, then restart all the computers and other network devices.
    3. Check for upgraded drivers and/or reload the Network drivers.
    4. Replace the Network Interface Card.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

And I was looking for a wired connection first to get that working.

8. zeldymac

zeldymac Thread Starter

Hi
    I needed a clear afternoon to sit down and sort this out for once and for all. I went through all the posts again and checked everything once more, all the settings were correct as per the posts.

I reset the router again, this time I changed the security from WPK to Web and did not use Mac addresses, but I still could not get a connection on the Dell. I purchased a USB Network adapter, still no joy, however I managed to use the Dell with the wired cable and get a connection, I then went into the Dell wireless card utility and input the Wep key and after a few seconds hey presto I could see a connection! It's only taken 6 weeks to get this up and running, so next time anyone restores the computers to factory settings be prepared for all the network problems that could come with it. You might have a fresh computer, but what's the point if there's no connection. So guys thanks so much for all your input, it really helps to get different views on it. Thanks again for your time.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/953199

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice