1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: No Internet Please Help

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by ice_Max, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ice_Max

ice_Max Account Closed Thread Starter

Recently my fiance downloaded a program that brought a lot of adware onto our computer. So the other day I was going through add/remove programs, uninstalling some of them. The ones I couldn't uninstall, I deleted from the program files folder, and/or the registry. After uninstalling one such program, I was prompted to reboot my computer, so I did, and when I was booted up again, I had no Internet access. I am on a router, and my roommate's computer is also connected to it. He can access the Internet just fine. I called our ISP, Comcast, and they told me that my computer IS connected to the Internet, that it's not a problem on their end, that it's my Internet Explorer. I don't believe this is right, because I can't access the Internet from ANYWHERE on my computer. I can't check my e-mail, I can't log on to any IM programs, and I can't visit a web site from Windows Explorer or Outlook. I've tried system restore, but it told me it could not be completed. I reinstalled Windows but it didn't help. I uninstalled and reinstalled my NIC but that didn't help either. I tired unplugging my router and modem and shutting down my computer for about an hour and then booting up again to no avail. I ran the Network Setup Wizard and it told me that other computers could not connect to the Internet through mine and stopped. I ran the Internet Connection Wizard, and it said I was already connected through a LAN. I can see my roommate's computer on the Network. I moved the router and modem cords around but nothing changed. I checked my drive for errors and viruses; nothing. I'm completely stumped as to what happened here. Someone please help!

I am running Windows XP Home Edition with IE 6. I do not have a firewall, but I am running Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition. Thanks.

2. Whitestar

Whitestar

Well, for a start, all your isp would be able to see is your router, which is why they couldnt see a problem.

Next, you should use Adaware to remove the adware.

Right now the internet problem. You said you are running XP Home. Have you installed Service Pack 2?

3. ice_Max

I did use adware but it didn't get all of them, or they kept coming back. I tried connecting my computer directly to the modem instead of the router while on the phone with Comcast, and I was connected either way. So it's not the router or the modem.

I believe I do have SP2 installed. I'm at work now so I can't check. If I don't, might installing it fix the problem?

4. Whitestar

Whitestar

Ah, SP2 might be the problem.

I lost my internet when i installed SP2.

When you get home, have a look and if you do have sp2 installed i will give you a hand on getting you computer woking again.

5. ice_Max

Thanks a lot for your help. I called my fiance at home and had him check and apparently we don't have SP 2 installed, only SP 1. :(

6. Whitestar

Whitestar

Ok, well not having sp2 is a good thing. it means that the problem isnt some option hidden deep within the settings of the new features on sp2.

Ok, a couple of things

What is the make and model of your router, and have you set the ip addresses of the computers or do they get them throught DHCP from the router.

7. ice_Max

We get our IP addresses through DHCP. I don't know the make and model of the router, I'll have to check that when I get home.

8. Whitestar

Whitestar

Ok. Try assigning the ip addresses manually. You will have to give the router an ip address as well.

9. ice_Max

OK. I'll give that a shot. Here's the make and model of my router, btw: D-Link DI-604. I may end up just fdisking the whole thing and re-installing everything. My roommate tried to fix it while I was out yesterday without my permission, and I think he screwed up my Windows Explorer. *rolls eyes*
    Thanks! :)

10. eightup1

eightup1

the malware you removed may have stripped out your tcp/ip stack ..... check your network connection properties and see that internet protocall tcp/ip is checked

11. Whitestar

Whitestar

Nah, you cant remove the tcp/ip stack just by removing stuff from the registry or deleting stuff in the program files folder. Because the programs ore not linked to the protcol, they only use it, deleting them wont affect or delete the tcp/ip stack.

12. Whitestar

Whitestar

Ok. ive had a look on the net for your router, and it does have a firewall. If its turned on see if turning it off helps. If it does, then its one of the settings in the firewall causing the problem.

What happening with the computer.

13. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276482

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice