1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: No IPCONFIG information

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Dreddnaut, Jun 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dreddnaut

Dreddnaut Thread Starter

I have 2 computers connected through a router to the Internet, both running WindowsXP. One has been around for a while and works perfectly fine. The other, which I just purchased, is a used Dell desktop and it will not connect to anything at all. I cannot see the good computer in the workgroup...I cannot even see the Dell itself in the workgroup window. And, yes, I did assign both of them to the same workgroup.

On the good computer, I ran "ipconfig /all" in the command line and got this:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\myname>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : MPH
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : maine.rr.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : maine.rr.com
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TE100-PCBUSR 32-Bit Cardbus PC Card
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-70-D6-AF-05
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.101
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 24.92.226.9
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, June 23, 2007 19:51:36
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, June 24, 2007 19:51:36

On the problem computer, I got this:

C:\Documents and Settings\myname>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Dell
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

I am pretty sure some stuff is missing but I have no clue otherwise. The lights are lit on the router and the NIC and the cable does work. I have connected many computers to this router with no problems whatsoever...laptops and desktops.

Please help and let me know what I need to provide.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The ipconfig /all is saying that you have no ethernet card, no wireless card, no nothing. So you have to try to find one. :)

First stop would be Device Manager. If you see any yellow you probably need to find some drivers on Dell's web site (yes, download them with the good PC and use removable media to move them over). Do you see any evidence there of a Network adapter?

3. Dreddnaut

Dreddnaut Thread Starter

The Device Manager says the NIC is working fine. And, yes, there is a NIC installed in the computer, by the way. The lights on the NIC are lit up when the cable is plugged in, but they are solid, indicating no activity. Same with the port light on the router. It's on, but solid.

How the heck do I get the NIC recognized? I'm truly baffled. I even reinstalled WindowsXP, which had just been done by the person I bought it from, figuring there was nothing to lose.

Is no recognition of the NIC the reason I cannot see even the new computer in the workgroup?

Should I physically uninstall and reinstall the NIC that is already there?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands, Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "Is no recognition of the NIC the reason I cannot see even the new computer in the workgroup?"

'Yes' if you mean from the other computer; 'probably' if you mean from the new computer. As far as Windows (at least the ipconfig) is concerned you have no NIC, thus no network, thus no workgroup. Just to double check--any yellow at all in Device Manager? There is an outside chance of a missing driver for a network controller; if so, that is just as needed as the driver for NIC.

"Should I physically uninstall and reinstall the NIC that is already there?"

May as well--after doing the stack repair 'cause that's much easier. Look for bent pins and use a different slot if available.

6. Dreddnaut

Dreddnaut Thread Starter

John, I will try what you suggest.

Terry, I did mean from the new computer. I could open a window on the Dell for the workgroup, but the Dell didn't even see itself. No yellow at all in the Device Manager. I've checked and double-checked. Nothing. Everything is working properly.

Thanks guys. I'll post later with the results.

7. JohnWill

What appears under Network Controllers in Device Manager?

8. Dreddnaut

Dreddnaut Thread Starter

Under Network Adapters I see:

CNet PRO200WL PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter

Again, nothing shows yellow and under properties, it says the device is working properly.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Now that I'm on my laptop with ethernet disabled I see that it doesn't even show in ipconfig.

So, your next stop should be in Network Connections. Is your LAN connection there? If it says 'disabled' then right click on it and select 'enable.' If it's this easy you can then probably mark this 'solved' using the Thread Tools at the upper right. If it has a red x and says 'disconnected' then maybe you should check the cable and router port again. Then go after the NIC uninstall/reinstall.

10. Dreddnaut

Dreddnaut Thread Starter

Terry, I disabled the adapter and then enabled it. Windows recognized it and took me through the connection wizard. Still didn't change anything. I disabled again, enabled and got an error message: Failed to enable. After a minute or so, it became enabled again on its own. I did try to repair the connection and got this message: Failure to query TCP/IP settings of the connection. Cannot proceed.

John, I did what you suggested with these results: Attempted WINSOCK reset and got the following message: The following command was not found: winsock reset catalog. I then tried the other one with apparent success. No message stating anything. I rebooted and tried the WINSOCK again, with same message.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Maybe you don't have Service Pack 2? If you do NOT have SP2, you can try

Automated WINSOCK Fix all Windows Versions (except XP SP2): http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

12. JohnWill

If you don't have SP2, I suggest you get it ASAP. :)

13. pcrepairguy

pcrepairguy

Is it possible he does not have TCP/IP installed for the NIC? Or he has too many other protocols????

14. JohnWill

You can't remove TCP/IP in XP.

15. Dreddnaut

Dreddnaut Thread Starter

My initial goal when I set the computer up was to get SP2 or make sure it already had it, plus to get all of the Windows Updates. I will get SP2 ASAP, as I don't think this computer has it yet. Isn't there a way to download SP2 and put it onto CD to install offline?

Yes, the computer does have TCP/IP. The only other protocols it has are the ones that default load with XP. I did a fresh re-install when I first set it up and did nothing special.

I have downloaded the auto-fix program and will be running it shortly. I'll post with the results.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/588040

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice