Solved: No Laptop Power

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

buckITall

Hopefully someone can suggest an idea for me.
I've already posted in other forums with no feedback yet.
I'm working on a laptop that will not power up. Acer Travelmate 4740-5261
With a volt meter I've tested the power cord, power jack, MB, and the power switch board.
All have proper readings.
Is there a way to get the laptop to power up by jumping the pins.
There are 10 pins that connect from the MB to the power board via a ribbon.
Pins 1, 3,4,5,6,7,8,9 all give 0 volts
Pin 2 gives me 2.8v
Pin 3 gives 3.4v
Pin 10 gives 5.1v
When I jump pins 1-2 the MB LED comes on, and on the power board when I jump pins 8,9,10 the power board LED comes on.

The only thoughts I have are the power switch board or the MB is bad. :(

Wow I'm having the same issue with a client's laptop(Asus gaming PC). Video card was replaced and now it's not powering up. I can't short any pins to power it on due to that ribbon cable issue. If I figure this out between the next day or so I'll share what I did.

My thought is the power switch on this particular laptop; the motherboard was already replaced and same issue.

Can the power switch be replaced on your laptop as a troubleshooting tip? That's most likely what I'm going to do if I can't figure out a way to short the pins.

managed

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
Allan
Laptop power switches usually only need a momentary contact to turn on, similar to a PC power button. You should be able to mimic that with a piece of wire. Use a continuity test to see which pins on the switch are joined when it's pressed.

buckITall

Can a continuity test be done on a power board switch that has a slider instead of a button?

managed

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
Allan
Yes, as long as you can get the meter probes onto the in and out leads or connections to the switch.

There should be no connection until you move the switch, then the meter should show very low resistance or make a noise, depending on the meter.

buckITall

My thought is the power switch on this particular laptop; the motherboard was already replaced and same issue.

Can the power switch be replaced on your laptop as a troubleshooting tip? That's most likely what I'm going to do if I can't figure out a way to short the pins.
I've since replaced the power board switch...with no results :confused:
Have you resolved your issue...I'm stumped

Jumping the pins also does not work...there is power everywhere including monitor, it just doesn't power up and stay on.

buckITall

Thanks for taking the time to assist me
Issue is resolved, after countless hours of research, post, disassemble and reassemble...
all it took was resetting the cmos battery!
Lesson learned, never overlook the simplest things.

managed

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
Allan
I'm glad it's fixed, I wouldn't have thought of that either !

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online