1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: No local area connection.. need help please

Discussion in 'Networking' started by debby.ds, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. debby.ds

debby.ds Thread Starter

Hi All,

I have Virgin broadband internet. Recently the modem started playing up so I phoned Virgin who sent me out a new modem. I received it today, plugged it in and phoned Virgin to get it activated. When the advisor told me to connect to the internet I kept getting the page cannot be displayed message so he asked me to go into network connections which I found was totally empty. He told me i had lost my local area connection and to take the computer into a shop to get it reinstalled. I don't want to do this unless totally neccessary. Is there a way I can get it back or DL something to get it back? In my device manager it shows network adapters and under that VIA Rhine II Fast ethernet adapter. There are no question marks or explaination marks. I tried updating the driver but it says I already have the best one available. Is there anything else I can try? It was working fine before I plugged in and had the new modem activated.

Thanks for any help,

Debby.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The only thing that comes to mind for me is ...

Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services - the 'Network Connections' service should be Started and its Startup Type 'Manual' or 'Automatic.'

3. debby.ds

debby.ds Thread Starter

Hiya,

Thank you for your reply. I looked and it says started and manual. I may be totally wrong here but I'm sure I have looked in network connections before on the computer and its been blank in there, although as I say I may be completely wrong! Could the computer still go online with network connections being empty? I'm thinking it could be something totally different causing this but I don't know how to find out. I am able to connect through the ethernet cable direct into my laptop but its a pain as Im squashed in a corner of my bedroom..arrgh!

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Try a reset of the stack.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

5. JohnWill

6. debby.ds

debby.ds Thread Starter

Just been having a fiddle about and when I right click in network connections it says The Network Connections Folder was unable to retrieve the list of network adapters on your machine. Please make sure that the Nework Connections service is enabled and running.

Any clues from that anyone?

Thanks.

Debby.

7. debby.ds

debby.ds Thread Starter

Thanks John, I'll give that a try and let you know :)

8. debby.ds

debby.ds Thread Starter

Hi John,

Just to let you know, when I did the cmd thing it came up WARNING: Could not obtain host information from machine: (MY_COMP). Some commands may not be available. The RPC server is unavailable.

I'll go check out the article you sent..thanks :)

9. debby.ds

debby.ds Thread Starter

John,

Thank you so much. I did everything up until part 6. on the article and it worked :)

You are brilliant!

Debby.

10. JohnWill

Glad it all worked out. :)

11. JohnWill

But not clairvoyant. :D

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646344

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice