1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: No locally cached credentials

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Jondalar, Jul 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jondalar

Jondalar Thread Starter

I've successfully joined a notebook to an AD domain while connected via VPN (logged on with local admin account, established VPN connection, joined to domain providing domain admin credentials, got message welcome to domain, rebooted to make changes effective) but now I have no cached credentials for this new domain and can't log on. Any way out? Joining it back to the original domain didn't help, as the cached credentials for that domain seem to have gone...

2. AarMarTech

AarMarTech

Have you tried logging in to the Local Machine instead of the domain?

3. Jondalar

Jondalar Thread Starter

Yes of course, with the local admin account. And I actually figured out how to resolve it. Once logged on locally, I started a VPN session with the VPN client running as a service, then I logged off while still connected to the corporate network. Then I logged in with my domain account, which authenticated over the running VPN session. Bingo! Now I had my locally cached credentials in the new domain!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1007028