1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: No Network Adapters Detected

Discussion in 'Networking' started by apopus, Oct 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. apopus

apopus Thread Starter

I've been trying to get some malware/viruses off of my computer. After running Combofix and Superantispyware, my windows changed from an XP looking interface to one that looks like Windows NT. All networking capabilities also disappeared. I can no longer connect to wireless or LAN connections.

When I open the Network Connections folder, it is blank and I get the following message:

"Network Connections:
    The Network Connections Folder was unable to retrieve the list of Network adapters on your machine. Please make sure that the Network Connections service is enabled and running"

It is as if my computer no longer detects its built in wireless and network cards.

Any ideas on how I might be able to reverse this (i.e. get my wireless back and change the interface back to Windows XP)?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

3. apopus

apopus Thread Starter

I typed in the command prompt lines.

With the first line, it gave a message stating that the operation was successful. I typed in the second line and it gave me a failed message. I then rebooted.

It doesn't seem to have changed anything.

4. apopus

apopus Thread Starter

BTW: When I click "Network Troubleshooter" I get the following message:

Help and Support Error

"Windows cannot open Help and Support because a system service is not running. To fix this problem, start the service named 'Help and Support.'"

5. JohnWill

Start, Run, devmgmt.msc

What appears under Network adapters? Are there any devices anywhere in Device Manager that appear with a yellow ? or ! displayed?

6. apopus

apopus Thread Starter

Nothing appears under device manager. The entire space is white. It is blank.

7. JohnWill

Nothing at all appears in Device Manager? You have larger issues than just networking if that is the case!

See if this helps that issue: No Items Appear in the Device Manager List When You Open It.

Another possible solution is posted below.

8. apopus

apopus Thread Starter

9. apopus

apopus Thread Starter

I'm also unable to use "Help and Support" because it has been disabled on my computer. Any ideas how I can get that running again?

10. apopus

apopus Thread Starter

I just ran the same services.msc and enabled Help and Support to automatic. That seemed to work. I'm assuming one of the antivirus programs disabled all of the services on the computer (Combofix or Superantispyware.....).

Still having issues with the network though....

11. apopus

apopus Thread Starter

Maybe the network services were turned off as well by the antivirus software?

If that is the case, do you know which ones I should be looking to set to "Automatic"?

12. JohnWill

Start, Run, devmgmt.msc

Under Network adapters, please tell me all the devices listed. Also, are there any devices anywhere in the Device Manager display with yellow ? or ! displayed?

13. apopus

apopus Thread Starter

None of the devices in device manager show a ? or !
    The device manager now shows the following network adapters:
    1394 Net Adapter
    Bluetooth LAN Access Server Driver
    Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controler
    Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection

None of these have any ? or ! next to them. However if I try to open the software for the Wirless adapter, it starts to open and the application freezes up (not the computer). I'll see a screen that says "Intel PROSet for Wireless Software" and it just freezes.

Not sure if any of that information is useful. Also, if you would like, I can attach a log of all of the services that are "disabled" on my computer.

14. apopus

apopus Thread Starter

I think it is fixed now. I turned on all the same services as my other computer, and this reactivated my wirless adapter. Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it!

15. JohnWill

Glad you got it going. :)

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the top of the page in the upper right corner.© :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/634318