1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: No OS will load

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 360noscope, Feb 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 360noscope

360noscope Thread Starter

I have a Dell Dimension 4700 (yeah old I know, not getting a new one), and I use Windows XP Pro on it, with Ubuntu also on the hard drive. The hard drive is not stock I know for sure. Last night,I couldn't get to sleep, and my computer runs 24/7, so I hear it all te time.All of a sudden, I heard it shut down. I turned it back on, and the instant it attampted to load Win XP, it shut down with no error message. I then tried Ubuntu by opening the OS menu in the BIOS (Dell A10), and that shut down the computer immediately too. I knew I had a USB drive with Linux on it somewhere (I've used it before and it works), so I plugged it in, and selected "Boot from USB device". Then it said "USB device not detected, F1 to try again, F2 to run setup utility.". At this point I suspected a capacitor blew, or something was on fire, so I did a quick physical check of the motherboard, and nothing seemed amiss. I will probably get back soon with the hard drive information.

EDIT: I tried again 10min later and Win XP would load. Still waiting for issues

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The Dell Dimension 4700 desktop is about 11 years old.

Since it runs 24/7 and is so old, I suspect a hard drive or power supply or other hardware issue.

---------------------------------------------------------

3. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    360noscope,

In the future please do not edit your original post as this will not activate the email notification to those who are helping you. Always post a Quick Reply so as to let all know a response has taken place. :)

4. 360noscope

360noscope Thread Starter

My computer has been running since I posted the edit, and not a single hitch yet, So I'll put it as solved, because my computer runs, and I have a rudimentary understanding of the problem. I'm still curious to what exactly could cause the problem I had.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142624

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice