1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: No paging file & hangs on welcome screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by raylock, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. raylock

raylock Thread Starter

To solve another problem, I reinstalled Windows XP on my wife's Presairo 3000 laptop. Occasionally, the system loads completely, but usually it hangs on the welcome screen. I also get a message that the page file is missing. When I go to the system section of the control panel and update the page file size it does not take effect (after rebooting). This problem also occurred before I reinstalled windows XP. I have run chkdsk /r a couple of times, once before reinstalling the operating system and once after. Is there a problem I can fix or is my disk just kaput?

Thanks
    Ray

2. bingo24

bingo24

3. raylock

raylock Thread Starter

I posted the hijack this log as suggested but after four days there are no responses. I am still unable to set up a paging file. I tried setting the page file in safe mode as suggested in the Micrsoft procedure. I also edited the registry using the Microsoft registry editor. The paging file was set at 0 0 and I changed it to the max number suggested. The registry now shows it set to the larger number but on start up Windows will still not see a paging file and sets one at 256. This greatly limits what I can do effectively on this computer. The start up time is very long 5-10 minutes while the system sets up the replacement paging file. Short of scrapping the hard drive and installing a new one I am at a loss for another idea. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ray

4. bingo24

bingo24

Ray I looked at your post in the Malware Removal and HiJackThis Log forum and it looks as though your log is incomplete. Did you scan also with your updated av and malware/spyware tools before running a HJT scan. Could you run your scan again. If you are using msconfigs selective startup please make sure EVERYTHING in the startup tab is checked as it is needed to see everything listed there. Before placing it make sure it is complete. Delete the old one and copy & paste the new one in the same HJT Log forum.

5. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

6. raylock

raylock Thread Starter

I don't think it is a permissions issue. I re-installed windows XP and the issue remained. I fixed the problem by installing a new hard drive and reinstalling everything. Took a lot of hours but only a fraction of the time I have been troubleshooting this issue:)

My thanks to those who took the time to look at the log and offer suggestions.

Ray

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752614

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice