1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: no permission?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by sgull, Jan 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sgull

sgull Thread Starter

I was wanting to disable the hibernate feature on my vista machine. I was told I can do this by going to the command prompt and typing in powercfg.exe/hibernate off. When open the command prompt box, the line in front of the blinking prompt is C:\Users\Steve>. But after I type in the command and hit enter it says "You do not have permission to enable or disable the hibernate feature." Why would that be if my user account shows definitely shows me as an administrator? What's up with that? I thought when you were the administrator you had permission to do such things?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    have a look at power options in control panel
    should have a tab for hibernate - i always disable that way

3. sgull

sgull Thread Starter

Yes I disabled hibernate by doing as you mention and setting hibernate to the "Never" option.

But I really was curious why it said I didn't have the permission to disable or enable hibernate when I tried doing it as mentioned previously through the command prompt method. Any thoughts on that? thanks

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Ok - I dont know the answer to that - so hopefully someone else will reply

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

shutdown /h

6. sgull

sgull Thread Starter

If I try that command, and it works, can you also please suggest an (opposite) command by which I could then re-enable hibernation feature if I wanted to in the future? thanks

7. Squashman

I misread your post. I know you stated you are an administrator but you may want to try and run the cmd line with elevated privileges with a different user or just by typing in your current username. Maybe it is confused on the permissions when it tries to run it.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/cc300361.aspx

8. Squashman

9. sgull

sgull Thread Starter

10. sgull

sgull Thread Starter

But now I wonder what is the method by which I can revert the command prompt line back to what it was originally before I was able to get it to run as an administrative command (back to C:\Users\Steve>). Thanks again.

11. sgull

sgull Thread Starter

Never mind last post. Found out when I log off pc then log back on that the command prompt will have reverted back to its apparently default non-administrator prompt.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/788624

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice