1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: No picture on Monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GordRocks, Sep 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GordRocks

GordRocks Thread Starter

I am using an ATI All-In-Wonder 9600 with 2 monitors.

Last night I had to uninstall and re-install the ATI software; for some reason I had lost the Capture Driver. After re-installing everything worked fine. This morning I turned on the computer and the monitors did not come on. I turned them on manually and they give a "NO SIGNAL" message. Is this a coincidence? Could the re-installing of the software cause it to not even show the BIOS bootup screen? I'm totally lost as to what to do. Install another video card - I may have one still around somewhere?

Any help would be much appreciated. I'm not at home now but any advice will be taken when I get there this evening. I do have a second computer there so I can respond to any comments, questions, etc.

Thank you,
    .....Gord

2. BG-0

BG-0

If there's no BIOS display, then the drivers can't be responsible(at least alone). Replug and reseat all cables and devices, then try, after that follow the step instruction in the problem build sticky thread.

3. GordRocks

GordRocks Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure the video card is not the problem. I installed another video card and still have the same problem. I also unplugged and replugged all the cables.

Does anyone have any other ideas? I'm getting desperate here.:mad::(

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Drivers have nothing to do with the bios and or post display. They do not even load until windows loads.

Go back to the very basics.
    1 Open the case and pull the power from ALL drives both hd and optical
    2 Disconnect any usb type device; ie scanner, printer, hub, etc
    3 While inside the case, pull out any add-in cards like sound, nic, etc. Leave in just your video card

Now attempt to power ON the system and see if it will post. If it does, then shutdown and start connecting devices one at a time until you find what causes the problem. If it does not post in the above config, attempt to clear cmos and repeat. If it still will not post, then you need to start swapping parts with known good units; ie pw supply, ram, motherboard, etc.

5. GordRocks

GordRocks Thread Starter

I unplugged all the HDDs, the floppy drive, DVD writers, printer, scanner, card reader and anything else I could think of. It still didn't work. :(
    The only thing still installed was the video card. The only things I can think of now are the MOBO and the CPU. I'll see if I can get another MOBO to try later today. :eek:
    Does anyone have any other ideas to try before that? :confused:
    Thanks for the help, guys.
    .....Gord

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Power supply????
    That is the easiest major part to swap out.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW aspire pw supplies are NOT noted for being quality units.

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yes indeed "quality" would certainly not be a good descriptive phrase here.

9. geehawk

geehawk

Does your motherboard have integrated video? You should try pulling the cmos battery for 15 seconds and reseating it. Possible that the system is not correctly detecting the video card (which would represent an issue with your board most likely) and is switching to integrated video. If you do have igp than try removing the video card and pluggin your monitor into that. Bit of a long shot, but who knows.

10. GordRocks

GordRocks Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice and I apologize for not getting back sooner but I've been away.

The motherboard was shot. It's replaced and I think everything is okay now.

Thanks again,
    .....Gord

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!