1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: No picture on monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pl0x4, Dec 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pl0x4

pl0x4 Thread Starter

i bought a new monitor the other day, and its plugged in correctly, the motherboard is fine, everything works fine, but the monitor just won't recognize the wireless keyboard and mouse (and even the mouse i plugged in; and its either they aren't being detected, or there's a different problem). it just turns on, says "Auto Detect: entering power save", and the screen goes black. the computer had been freezing up beforehand, but its been like this for 2 days now. I'd like to get the monitor up and running again. I'm not too good with computers yet, so simplistic directions would be great, if this is even fixable.

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

I'm somewhat confused. Why would your monitor have anything to do with your keyboard and mouse? Are you saying that if the computer goes into sleep mode you can't wake it up with the keyboard and mouse or are you saying that when you boot the computer you do not get any video?

3. blackbox_ns

blackbox_ns

do you have a monitor with extra / expansion usb ports? if you do, remember, that usb power may not be suppilied on those ports. if your mouse and keyboard are drawing power, they may not operate.
    try a usb port directly out of the computer or place a hub between,
    mouse/keyborad--hub--monitor.

4. pl0x4

pl0x4 Thread Starter

right when i boot it up i dont get any video, but usually when it goes into powersave mode, you just shake the mouse, or press a few buttons on the keyboard and it wakes up. but when i start it up, the screen just stays black, but the PC is on.

my wireless keyboard/mouse are plugged directly into the PC, not the monitor.

5. Jtoast

Jtoast

have you tried unplugging your monitor for a few minutes from the power source? I have one that has some sort of a kill switch in it that I have to reset whenever the power flickers.

6. pl0x4

pl0x4 Thread Starter

yes, it was one of the first things i did. it didnt work. i think i have a similar problem to some other people. i searched this on google and i got a bunch of other people saying "omgomgomg monitor stuck in powersave mode". is there a quick fix for this? like is it a common enough occurence to where theres a guide somewhere?

7. Jtoast

Jtoast

No because there are many different causes.
    Things I have seen fix this issue:
    1) Moving memory cards to different slots
    2) Trying different wall jack/UPS
    3) Reseating video card
    4) Replace motherboard due to bad USB ports
    5) Dead batteries in the wireless mouse.

Probably another ten I can't remember at the moment.

8. spudder

spudder

ok what wakes up or shows up when you shake the mouse or touch a key on your keyboard does anything show up on your monitor screen?? or does the computer hard drive lite start blinking
    can you hook your monitor to another computer or another monitor to the current computer to see if the problem is with your monitor or video card ?
    is the monitor going into power saver mode or the computer
    how old is the computer and what os does it have on it
    you can usually fine a manual for the monitor at the web site however sometimes those can be a little bit sketchy when looking for a specific problem

9. pl0x4

pl0x4 Thread Starter

when i boot up the computer, the screen stays black. shaking the mouse or touching keys doesnt wake it up. i dont know where the hard drive light is, so i wouldnt know if it was blinking. the only other computer i have at the moment is this laptop, which doesnt have the correct socket for the monitor. the monitor is going into power save mode, not the computer. the computer is about 4 years old, and its running windows XP.

10. Jtoast

Jtoast

have you tried going into your control panel, power options and setting your monitor to never turn off?

11. pl0x4

pl0x4 Thread Starter

i cant go to control panel, because i cant see anything. the screen stays black.

12. blackbox_ns

blackbox_ns

Since this is a new monitor what happened to the old monitor, does it still work if you plug it into the computer? Just because you don't see any video doesn't mean your keyboard and mouse don't work, if you still have the old monitor and it works when you plug it in you should be able to verify keyboard and mouse function.

13. spudder

spudder

hmm ok if the monitor is not showing anything when you boot the computer and the monitor has power and the moniter turns , then there is break in the connection between the computer and monitor ,, ,, try replacing the cable that connects the monitor to computer if that doesn't work try putting in a new video card (but before i would do that i would take the monitor to a friends and hook it up and test it ) if you replace the cable or the test the monitor on another computer then the only place it can be is the video card or mother board as far as hard ware goes

14. pl0x4

pl0x4 Thread Starter

i just figured out it was the computer, not the monitor. sorry for wasting your time. +rep if i can to both of you

15. spudder

spudder

good question blackbox ,,

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!