1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: No picture signal from pc!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by krinter, Jan 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. krinter

krinter Thread Starter

When I started my system this morning, my monitor said there were no input signal and went on standby. The three fans are all running (gpu, cpu and power).

I'm not sure whether the disks are running. The first couple of times I started the pc I think they did, but since I have reset (by holding down the power button five seconds) quite a few times now I fear that it may have been too much for the machine because now I don't think they are running anymore.

Since I got no picture I'm not sure though if it is just held up in DOS-mode waiting for me to chose either normal windows opening or failsafe open.

Earlier on I tried to use my sleep button to see if there were any response... There were not.

So... short of bying a new pc altogether - how do I narrow down the hardware that perhaps causes the problem?

I need picture at least to get some information - even if its only in DOS-mode. Right now I have a Geforce card with that "new" plug thats a complete square. I am considering trying to get an old monitor with the old narrow at one end broad at the top plug, and using it on the motherboards onboard graphic output. But will this work? When you use a proper graphics card, does this switch off the output from the onboard graphic? Do you have to switch ├│utput plug while inside the system software? Because then I'm really in trouble I can't of course navigate blindfolded like that.

---

This problem has happened a couple of times before but with approx three months in between., always with no apparent reason and only on startup. The previous times I have reset the system, and sometimes reset and cut the power altogether. And this solved the problem after a few trys.

I'm at my wits end here.

I'm using my girlfriends laptop right now.

Any suggestions?

I'm not good at all this spec stuff, but I can tell at least that its
    XP with plenty of RAm and drive space 3 Ghz cpu. I don't run any wild or strenuous software and may have a system with a it more power than I actually need. I update everything on a regular basis. And feel I'm on top of any security problems using AVG and several antispyware and bug detectors. I have never to my knowledge been subject to any succesful attack of any kind. I regularly wacuum the inside of my tower carefully with a hoover. Actually this sometimes has been followed by the problem at hand. However this is not the case today. I just shut down yesterday and have made no sudden movs inside with any cavles. It just won't work today. *******!

2. anafam

anafam

Try going through these procedures first and then reply back:

A) did you check and make sure that the vga wire was connected firmly to the computer and the monitor on either sides

B) It could be your graphics card, if you have a spare graphic card lying around put it in your computer and check if your monitor displays any picture or not.

C) Make sure your graphic card is connected firmly to the motherboard.

D) try connecting your computer to another monitor because it could be the monitors fault.

3. krinter

krinter Thread Starter

Thanks... though I thought I had a very nasty ghost in the machine that required it's own topic - I stumbled across other people with picture loss and they were adviced to clean the connections. So I removed my card from the AGP slot and there were actually quite an amount of dust settled on the contacts. A friend of mine however suggested that dust rarely is the problem, but corrosion can be. Perhaps when I cleaned the pins there might have been some corrosion removed in the process. I have no evidence other than when I popped the card back, everything worked like it always has.

It will be interesting if it ever happens again and if so - how much time will pass until then. I suspect the period will be substantially longer than before.

Thanks again.

4. anafam

anafam

your welcome

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!