1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: no picture

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by zxr4001, May 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zxr4001

zxr4001 Thread Starter

hi i have a problem with my desktop i have no picture on the screen the com fires up ok and the hard drive spins i have tried the com on the hdmi port on the tv and still nothing the vga socket on the motherboard i think is disabled so i cant use that i think the graphic card has had it is there any way of turning th graphic vga port on the motherboard on with no screen i have tried the a bios reset with the jumper and removing the battery but nothing is working any help would be much appreciated.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Your best first line of approach is to take out the video card
    You may then find that onboard graphics is enabled

is the desktop a branded computer if so what is the make and full model please
    If it is not branded what is the make and model of the motherboard

3. zxr4001

zxr4001 Thread Starter

hi its a about 3-4 years olds now amd phenom dual core i know its a foxconn motorboard i have tried taking the ati graphics card out and rebooting but nothing still i have been looking through some old post and my keyboard and speaker dont react to windows starting up ie sound and no num lock or caps lock on key board think it might the mother board that has gone

4. Macboatmaster

well it certainly is not just the graphics
    Boot it with Puppy and see if it then boots, it may just be windows file systems

Do you know to what I refer
    Any bootable CD will test same eg Memtest
    But Puppy will see if the computer will boot and test the hardware and se if the HDD is seen

5. zxr4001

zxr4001 Thread Starter

so just put a bootable cd in and turn it on

6. zxr4001

zxr4001 Thread Starter

did not do anythink

7. Macboatmaster

Indeed
    If it does not then show anything different, it is as you say some hardware fault
    PSU - is possible
    Motherboard
    RAM
    The ram is relatively easy to test - take out a stick if you have two, leave one in the first slot nearest to the processor - usually and then if still no boot swop them over
    UNLIKELY but it could be a bad ram stick

Even without the hard drive in the computer should still post of course and then report no OS system found

8. zxr4001

zxr4001 Thread Starter

hard drive is fine as had it running os on my laptop when i turn the com on with no harddrive in dont get anythink like cant find os as dont get any thing on screen moitor is fine as checked that on my laptop and works

9. Macboatmaster

Well then you are in the area of trying another keyboard, just in case.
    Disconnect all except keyboard, monitor and mouse

TRY the ram as I said

and then you are into the area of testing with another PSU, or having that PSU tested.
    The old idea of testing with multimeter is really not very good, first of all the PSU must see a load to supply the power and shorting out PSU ON and ground is not good.

It has unfortunately, become a question of what resources you can try without a great deal of expense.
    For instance you do not want to buy another PSU - until you can test this one in another computer or, as I said test this with another one.
    Alternatively you can buy a basic PSU tester relatively cheap - a google search for your area will show you the average cost is about £10 UK for the most basic

10. zxr4001

zxr4001 Thread Starter

all fixed now removed the cpu and replaced it then it works

11. Macboatmaster

Good.
    Pleased

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!