1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: No Picture

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Aviem, Dec 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Aviem

Aviem Thread Starter

A couple of nights ago I tried to turn on my comp and their was sound and everything, just no picture whatsoever. It's a SLI setup and I've tried starting it up with each card by itself. I've made sure that it's plugged into the monitor well, and used two different cables. My question is, Motherboard or Video Cards? I updated the drivers about a week before this happened, but would that keep anything at all from showing up (no start-up sequence even shows up)? I'm due for an upgrade anyway but you know how the prices are out there. Any help would be very appreciated! Thanks

2. griffinspc

griffinspc

So it ran fine after the driver update for a week, right? Can you try another monitor?

3. griffinspc

griffinspc

PS: Welcome to the board.

4. Aviem

Aviem Thread Starter

Yes sir, to be really safe I can say I booted it up ateast twice after updating the drivers, and the computer was on for the remainder of each day. I gave away my other monitor, but I have my laptop hooked up to the same one that I've been attempting to use and it works fine. Thanks for the welcome :D

5. griffinspc

griffinspc

So it seems you have a bad monitor not a mobo or vid card problem. can you test that monitor on another machine just to be sure?

6. Aviem

Aviem Thread Starter

It works with the laptop fine, but if you're talking about another desktop I can phone a friend and hook up to their computer tomorrow.

7. griffinspc

griffinspc

Maybe I misunderstood you when you said,
    I thought you meant you ported the display out to your laptop and it worked. I'm guessing that what you meant is that your monitor works when hooked to the laptop. If that's the case then you're done testing the monitor, it works.

When you started it you said you heard sound and everything. Do you mean the normal boot process sounds, hard drive whirring, PSU fan noise, the right beeps, etc.?

8. Aviem

Aviem Thread Starter

No beep codes, you can even hear Windows boot up and it boots up just as fast as it always has, just no picture at all :confused:

9. celesse

celesse

Based on all I've read, I'm assuming you've tested both cards by themselves, tried both DVI/D-Sub ports, and nothing worked.

Are the fans spinning on both the video cards?
    If they are, then try both cards separately on a different machine if possible.
    If they aren't, then obviously they're not getting any power, or it might have shorted.

10. Aviem

Aviem Thread Starter

The fans are spinning and the little green power light on each of them is on. Since griffinpc says its pointing to the monitor I'm going to either get a third cable or VGA to DVI and use one of my VGA cables to test the cable a third time since the monitor works.. but my laptop uses a VGA cable but not DVI. I've had cables bad in the past so I started thinking of the possibility that my "back-up" cable was a bad cable that ended up in my bag. I can't get the cable until Thursday.. but I'll be sure to let you guys know if that fixes it. I really do appreciate the help :)

11. Aviem

Aviem Thread Starter

Two bad cables in a roll, go figure, thats my luck. Thanks guys :) (y)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!