1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: No picture

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Totalrod2, May 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Totalrod2

Totalrod2 Thread Starter

This is certainly a new one to me. I'm trying to watch a few videos I downloaded. RealPlayer is playing the sound, but there's no picture! Could it have some to do with my settings? Or is this a new form of DRM? They are personal movies, not copyrighted stuff. So I doubt that's the problem. But you never know. Any ideas?
    Bryan

2. Totalrod2

Totalrod2 Thread Starter

UPDATE:
    We can definately rule out the whole DRM thing. Because I just downloaded and watched the videos on my father's computer. And he has the same OS as me (Windows XP SP2). It's obviously my computer that's causing this. Incidentally, I'm also having trouble getting my AOL media player to play video. Again, it plays just fine on my father's computer. I've tried the obvious stuff (making firewall exceptions, changing preference settings within RealPlayer itself). What else can I check?
    Bryan

ONE OTHER THING-
    It seems to be mostly WM files that won't play the video (only sound). Please help me! This extremely frustrating for how much I've spent on this computer.

3. bicycle bill

bicycle bill Banned

4. Totalrod2

Totalrod2 Thread Starter

I tried it, didn't work. Apparently alot of people have had problems with the ATI graphics card drivers (the Catalyst control center driver). I tried changing the video preset from "custom" to "home". That has worked for some people, but not for me. In the end, the simplest way of remedying this problem (without buying another graphics card) was to download VLC Media Player. By default all my downloaded videos are now automatically played on VLC. It works perfect.
    Bryan

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!