1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: No POST screen.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lifeessence, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lifeessence

lifeessence Thread Starter

I have recently (tried) to upgrade my motherboard from an MSI P945GZM, here is a quick rundown of the specs

Pentium D 950 (3.4Ghz) LGA775
    ASUS P5N-E SLI
    (1 stick) 1GB Smart 553Mhz CR-5
    Gigabyte 7600GS
    EZCool 500W Power Supply
    Western-Digital 250GB SATA 7200RPM
    LG DVD-ROM

now, the problem is I do not have a POST screen, I have checked and double checked the power connections 20+4 pin plus the extra 4 pin for LGA775, they are fine, all components have been taken out of the case, and I've tried them there, on a wooden table, not touching anything, I have tried various other compoents (including; 430W PS, 6600GS Graphics Card, Core 2 Extreme, 2GB (2x1GB) 800Mhz memory) and more) but to no avail, there is no beeps from the speaker, the fans for both the power supply and the CPU run at normal speeds when starting up (the graphics card has silent-pipes), the motherboard will not shut-down or even generate heat. I have disconnected all components bar the CPU, RAM and Graphics Card, but still nothing, I know it is doing something as the I can hear the CPU working, another thing I found when trying to do it is when I connect the DVD-ROM, it flashes at regular intervals and makes a strange *chunking* sound (it's hard to explain the noise). The power, reset, LED cords are all in properly as it has a Q-Connector. All parts have been tested and work exelently, none of the parts are over 6 months old. Now I am at a complete loss as to what to do, if you could give ANY suggestions what-so ever I would be thankful no matter how dumb they may sound.

BTW I have cleared the CMOS/BIOS, it didn't help. and the screen works perfectly.

2. Jscuzza

Jscuzza

Does the computer turn on and load to the OS? If so what is the problem?

3. lifeessence

Like I siad no POST screen or anything, just a blank screen, like what you get if you don't plug in the extra 4-pin connector (which I've done).

4. lifeessence

*bump*
    please I need help
    (stupid ASUS :p )

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Please explain what you mean "I can hear the CPU working"?

The CPU itself is a totally solid state device, it simply cannot and should not make any noise?

6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Also have you tried it without any drives connected, just the bare minimum of motherbaord, RAM and video?

Any problem with a peripheral that can impact on the PSU may stop the CPU from running. On turn-on, the motherboard looks for a Power_OK signal from the PSU within about 0.5 seconds, if there is a problem in a peripheral that is depressing a voltage, then no signal will be given and the CPU will sit there doing nothing and not even try to access the BIOS.

7. lifeessence

Sorry, my mistake, it was the DVD making that sound.
    It's not the PSU as far as I can tell it has far more power than it needs and I've used it on the old motherboard (which isn't that old), with all the periphials and it worked fine, I also have tries it with just the bare essentials on the new one, no dice. Every once and a while I can get it to turn on (very rarely) but after that I can't reset/turn it off or it goes back to nothing. I have formated the Hard-drive and booted from a CD, still nothing. So right now I'm sending it back to the place I got it, so hopefully they will be able to help me (or repace it if need be). A friend of mine with much more experience than me has come to the conclusion that the motherboard is dodgey so right now I'm :mad:.

Thank you for the help.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591652

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice