1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: No Post

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by OmahaPC, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. OmahaPC

OmahaPC Thread Starter

Here's a problem that I had with my computer last night:

I was running a program from a diskette and the program hanged. The floppy drive light was still on and I ejected the diskette (I know, that was a stupid thing to do), but that didn't stop the program. I tried pressing ctrl-alt-dlt and that didn't restart the computer, so I pressed the restart button. When the computer came back on, nothing happens...no beeps, nothing on the screen, but the harddisk light stays on and the fan on the power supply is running. I turned off the computer by using the power switch on the back of the cpu. I left the computer off for about 5 minutes and turned it back on. Same thing...no beeps...I can see that it tries to access the CD/DVD & DVD/RW drives, but nothing after that and the harddisk light stays on and the power supply fan is running. I inserted the Windows XP disk into the DVD drive and restarted the pc, but it won't boot from either drive. I can see that it tries to access it, but nothing.

I then turned the computer completely off for about 1 hour, unplugged the power cord from the back of the cpu and plugged it back in. I turned it on and the same thing happens, but this time the power light flashes and there's a continuous beeping sound. The beeping doesn't sound like it's coming from the motherboard, it sounds like it's coming from the power switch.

I did some research on the internet, via my laptop, and I'm wondering if it's possible that the floppy drive shorted? One person had this same problem, unplugged the floppy drive, plugged it back in and his pc is running fine. I'm also wondering if my power supply is almost dead?

Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated. Thank You

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Definitely unplug the floppy drive and see if you can get any further.

3. onsite

onsite

Ummm, by any chance was this floppy based program a bios flash routine ?

4. OmahaPC

OmahaPC Thread Starter

No, it was a disk erase program. I was in the process of doing a full erase on one of my harddrives. The program said "Analyzing your system setup"(or something like that) and it just hanged. It stayed like that for over five minutes and I've used the program before and it's never done that.

5. OmahaPC

OmahaPC Thread Starter

First of all I'd like to thank onsite and AcaCandy for replying to my question. Thankfully the situation with my computer has been resolved and I wanted to post it so that it might help others with the same problem.

At first I did try unplugging the floppy drive, but that didn't help. So, rather than go through all the steps to figure out the problem I decided to use a resource that is available to me. I work at a computer maintenance company and I asked one of our technicians to take a look at my system. He went through all the usual steps that you hear about when trying to fix a system that is stuck (i.e. removing cards, memory, move cards, etc.) He removed the memory from my pc and put one single piece of memory from another computer and my system booted up. He ran tests on my two memory sticks (Corsair 512MB) and all the tests showed that the memory sticks were running perfectly. So, he put one of the sticks back into my system and it booted up. He then put the other stick back in and again, the system booted fine. He ran all kinds of tests on my system and it checked out ok. He did notice that the memory sticks did not fit very snug into the memory slots. His belief is that somehow one of the memory sticks may have shifted in the slot and that's what caused the problem. Last night I ran my system for about 3 hours with no problems.

I hope this helps others with the same problem. At least it'll give you something to check.

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Thanks for the follow up. Loose memory can cause all kinds of problems.

You can mark the thread solved using the THREAD TOOLS drop down menu.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488124

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice