1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: No power to keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jdl, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jdl

jdl Thread Starter

I am trying to assist a new teacher at my wife's school set up school computer.

Apparently there is no power to the keyboard.

After system boot, when the keyboard is unplugged and plugged into the back of the computer, the Num Lock, Caps Lock, and Scroll lock lights flash once and then go off. The same thing happens with a different keyboard. There is no response to keyboard input after the system boots (it gets to the "Press Control Alt Delete" point but nothing happens after that. There is no place that wiggling the keyboard plug will keep the lights on.

During the boot process, the lights do not flash.

Tapping F8 during boot does nothing.

Using Windows XP Pro, SP2

Keyboard uses a standard connector and the mouse uses a USB connector. Mouse works OK.

Need to get this computer running. Thanks.

2. junker39

junker39

Can you try a USB keyboard? It may not work until Windows is running though.
    It could be that the Keyboard PS/2 port has been turned off in the BIOS. Try removing the Motherboard battery for about 15-20 minutes to reset the board.

3. jdl

jdl Thread Starter

I don't have a USB keyboard available. Will try the motherboard battery removal tomorrow. What else may reset besides the keyboard selection? I'd rather not reconfigure the entire computer...any problems to look out for?

4. junker39

junker39

Resetting the BIOS will put it back to the original configuration as when new. Someone may or may not have changed other things such as settings for onboard video or AGP video.
    I'm thinking that if the PS/2 port is turned off in the BIOS, then maybe the USB keyboard support is turned on. A trip to wallyworld with a ten dollar bill will get you a USB keyboard. It may be worth the try.

5. jdl

jdl Thread Starter

Thanks, another chore for tomorrow.

6. jdl

jdl Thread Starter

I tried two keyboards with the same result, no power to the keyboard and the blink when the cable was plugged in. The solution was a THIRD keyboard that worked perfectly. I'm still not convinced a gremlin doesn't live inside the computer! Marking the thread solved.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488632

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice