1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: "No preview available" in My Pictures folder

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by sbsb7900, Sep 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sbsb7900

sbsb7900 Thread Starter

I put some pictures from my digital camera into a folder in My Pictures. I put two seperate folders in there the same day (in August). Today I went to My Pictures and clicked on one of the folders and it is saying "No Preview Available". So I went to the other folder and all my pics are there. I view my folders with thumbnails and the folder that is missing pics still show the small thumbnails on them but when i open it they are not there. I am using Windows XP. These are pics that are very dear to me and I would love to hear if anyone has had this happen before and where I may can find these again.

2. xgerryx

xgerryx

What file type are your photos?
    Right click one of small the thumbnails, then click properties and it will tell you the file type.

3. RT

RT

If you normally open those thumb images with Windows' default viewer (the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer), and it has worked before, try a different program like MS Paint or whatever imaging prog came with your camera.

Right click any thumbnail and select "Open with..."
    Pick from the list or use "Choose program..." to navigate to another.

4. sbsb7900

sbsb7900 Thread Starter

My file type of my photos is jpeg. I also tried to open them in paint and other programs but they still show up blank like they have been deleted. If I had accidentally deleted them wouldn't they be in my recycle bin? I just don't understand how this has happened. Thanks for any help you may can give.

5. RT

RT

Try re-associating the file type.

Open Control Panel, and choose Tools > Folder Options from the menu on top.
    Click the File Types tab.
    When the list shows, scroll down to JPEG and click that.

Click the Change button and choose the program you want from that list. If the program you prefer to use isn't shown, click Browse to find it.

6. sbsb7900

sbsb7900 Thread Starter

Is it possible to get these pics off of my camera even if i have erased them and used the camera again? I have read a little about it but not sure what to do. thanks for the info.

7. RT

RT

sbsb,
    I assumed from your first post that you were trying to get the pics to show up on your computer. Did you try what I suggested?
    If it didn't work, or if you didn't try it, that's OK - but it would be helpful to know if it worked or did not.

As for trying to recover the pics from your camera's memory card, after you've erased it and re-used it - that's a horse of a different color.

If you don't mind, would you try the steps I outlined previously, as that would give everyone some information as to which track to take :)

8. sbsb7900

sbsb7900 Thread Starter

I changed it to paint but it still opens in windows picture and fax viewer. and it still says no preview available. Did I do something wrong? Sorry I didn't say anything earlier. I appreciate all the information you have given me. I am always open to any suggestions that are given to me. Again thank you.

9. RT

RT

No worries, sbsb, sorry that didn't work for you.

'Nuther question though:
    Are you using AOL?

If that is a strange question, based my research it might be relevant to your problem....

http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBM/tip6100/rh6132.htm

10. sbsb7900

sbsb7900 Thread Starter

no i have high-speed internet. I despise AOL because it seems they always leave hidden files all through your computer. ( I know that is irrelevant but thought i would throw that in there lol.) I do appreciate the help though.

11. sbsb7900

sbsb7900 Thread Starter

What about recovering them from my picture card? Impossible, since i have used it since I deleted them?

12. acraftylady

acraftylady

What if they tried to post one here and see what happens or e-mail one to somebody? Maybe try and burn them to disk and see if they work in another computer? I don't know just trying to be of some help.

13. sbsb7900

sbsb7900 Thread Starter

I emailed it to my husband and it still shows up blank. Thanks anyway. I will try burning them to a disc and take them to work with me tomorrow.

14. acraftylady

acraftylady

If you didn't format the card you might be able to recover them. There were a few suggustions in a post a few more down from yours. People need to get in the habbit of backing files up constantly so this doesn't happen. Unfortunately we all learn this lesson after it's too late. I burn my photos to disk imediately after uploading them and then I burn a second and third copy to be on the safe side and check the disks in the computer right away then I store them. It's a pain but well worth the effort.
    Unereasing photos from flash card

15. sbsb7900

sbsb7900 Thread Starter

I am usually very efficient when backing up my files on my computer. It just so happens that those pics were lost before I could back them up. Thanks for the help. It is greatly appreciated.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275598

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice