1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: No service packs on XP and would not load service pack 1a

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by karenfoiles, Aug 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. karenfoiles

karenfoiles Thread Starter

Hello I'm new here...

I know enough about IT to be dangerous.lol I used to be a help desk tech support for about 10 years
    but after being laid off 3 years ago I am rusty. As the saying goes "use it ot lose it" and I lost it... lol

ANyway I have an old Gateway laptop (given to me by someone who was going to throw it out and don't have the CD that came with it) I had Windows Mellennium on it , I installed XP on it instead.I don't think I uninstalled ME as I figured XP would just replace. This an old version that my "ex-husband" had who was an IT guy. This CD did not have any service packs loaded on it and I'm trying to figure out how to load all of there service packs or determine if it's even worth it... I went to MS website to download them and had trouble loading 1A, it said my system could not support it? Mmmm Don't know if there is something fishy about the cd or what... It installed fine and it accepted the product key and I can hit the web with it (via dial up) too. No error messages at this time.

Window XP professional 2002 Version 5.1 build 2600xpclient.010817-1148
    SYSINFO UTILITY INFO:
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional,, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel Pentium III processor, x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 6
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 127 Mb
    Graphics Card: S3 Graphics Inc. SavageIX, 8 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 9580 MB, Free - 7614 MB;
    Motherboard: Gateway, Solo5300
    Antivirus: None

Thanks in advance, Karen

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    You need to download sp3. Support for the previous sps ended long ago.You need to find out if there is even xp drivers for that model or its going to be futile trying to find them.To run xp properly you are going to need a lot more ram or its going to be slower than a snail.512mb is the minimum but 1gb will be a lot faster.When its all said and done and you are able to get it up and running right you will also need a good antivirus program as i see you have none listed.If theres no xp drivers for that model the most you can hope for is maybe running windows 2000 in it if theres even drivers for that.What operating system did it originally come with? The COA sticker on the bottom should tell you.You can try getting recovery/restore disks for it but if it came with ME its going to be a big disappointment as that was one of the worse systems with the exception of vista.If it came with that size ram im guessing its a very old laptop and may not even be worth putting any money into it at all.

3. karenfoiles

Wow, thanks Sue... I forgot to mention I did a recovery/restore with Gateway cd's that came with the laptop. And then I loaded xp on it. The original operating system was ME which (lol) was the reason why I put XP on it. But I didn't realize I was going to have all these problems. I was going to try and load Windows 2000 on it as I have a cd for that too but did not know if I'd have the same problem with the service packs. one question though. What is the proper way to uninstall windows xp so I can load 2000? I tried loading it but it said it saw another operating system already loaded and I don't want to screw this up anymore. And omg I didn't realize there wasn't an anitvirus until I ran that utility from this website... geez. What's a good free one? Thanks alot for the help.

4. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    If you want to put windows 2000 in it again make sure there is even windows 2000 drivers for that model.You will also need a valid legit and never used COA sticker also for 2000 to activate it properly.If i remember correctly for windows 2000 the last sp for it was sp4.Thats all you should need as windows 2000 isnt even supported anymore.When you change operating systems all you have to do is put in the cd then go to the boot order which is usually f12 in most computers to let it boot from the cd and go from there.If its done right windows xp will be deleted as it will reformat the drive which will take awhile unfortunately you dont have the quick option as on windows xp.After its formatted just follow the prompts and go from there.As to sp4 for windows 2000 it can also be downloaded after you get 2000 up and running correctly.For the antivirus a very good free one most of us use on here is microsoft security essentials. That can be downloaded also.You are very welcome thats what we are all here for to help each other.As i said earlier even for windows 2000 if you can you might see how much more ram can be added to the computer so it will run faster and better.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Karen:

According to these specs, that very old laptop has a measly 9.35 GB hard drive and only 128 MB of RAM.

It doesn't show what speed that Intel Pentium III processor is, but hopefully it's 800 MHz or more.

It supports a maximum of 512 MB of PC100 RAM.

It's really a waste of time trying to run Windows XP SP3 in it.

Here is the hardware specs site for it.

Here is a good pictorial install guide for Windows 2000 SP4.

---------------------------------------------------------

6. karenfoiles

Ok... I give up! I'm getting a new laptop lol. Tired of dealing with pieces of crap. What a good one for about $300.00?

7. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    I dont know about a new one being 300 dollars. A good used one maybe.If a brand new one is that cheap it might not be worth having and could be nothing but trouble.Computers that are well made arent going to be cheap and in most cases will give you years of trouble free use.I have gotten quite a few good used dells and ibm/lenovos for that price but have never found a brand new one at 300 dollars if i did i dont think i would want it.I dont think its a piece of junk its just that now its so old and the operating system is so obsolete that its futile to try to do anymore with it.Just take it somewhere and have them recycle it and safely dispose of it.

8. karenfoiles

That's exactly what I'm going to do. Along with an ancient E-Machine desktop I've had in my car for the last month lol. I basically need something for internet use and little bit of MS Office stuff as I'm a live-in caregiver and am going nuts with bad cell / internet access on my smart phone.Calls keep dropping and such. Nothing fancy... I saw some refurbished ones TigerDirect that looking promising. I'm resorting to "oh my gosh... dial up" but it's sure better than nothing. Wishe me luck and thanks for all your help!

9. Ren1

Ren1

10. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Good luck to you. Im sure you will find a good decent computer out there somewhere and you are very welcome.

11. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  12. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Ive bought a lot of good used computers with xp in them in the past from local computer sellers and repair places and from the dell outlet and dell financial and have been very pleased so far.Theres a lot of good used reconditioned refurbished computers out there still with xp in them but just do your homework before you buy so you get exactly what you are looking for with no disappointments.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1064541

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice