1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: No Signal Input but can reach PC via Network

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jimmyjazz, Mar 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jimmyjazz

Jimmyjazz It's My Birthday! Thread Starter

I've been having this problem every few days. I have 2 monitors connected to Nvidia 9800 GT, and after leaving the computer for several hours, I'll return and the monitors won't turn back on with a mouse move or key pressed. Today i found that I could still browse it with another computer and transfer a file to it.

So I tried cmd shutdown -i to reboot it remotely. The command was accepted, but the computer didn't restart. It seems like it tried to, but couldn't complete it, because it's not connected to the network anymore.

I have the lastest drivers installed, and that didn't fix it. Latest Win 7 x64 updates installed. On program that may be relevant is a webcam surveillance program I always have running. It should have been recording (if the computer was indeed working fine under the blank monitors), but when browsing via network, none of the recording files were created for the day.

So it seems somethign is happening with video card, drivers or this program that breaks all video on the computer, but keeps it running.

I'm not sure how to isolate the problem further.

2. Jimmyjazz

Thanks for the responses everyone (heh).

I tried setting my computer to Hybrid SLI mode, using one monitor in the video card and one in the onboard port. This way I would at least know if the video card is just turning off for some reason because the other monitor would continue to work. Well it didn't change anything. Both screens stay off still. Still open to suggestions to try.

3. Jimmyjazz

Something to add:

I was using my computer today, and it froze in front of me. I was trying to connect to xfire (just installed it yesterday), at the same time as IE encountered a problem and was checking for a solution on line, and I clicked on a newly installed messenger program as it was doing that. The screens froze, but still outputted the image. I assume that this is what happens before the problem i reported in my first post. Everything freezes, and maybe when windows power settings turn the monitors off, they don't come back on.

Does this lead to any theories about what the cause could be?

4. dai

dai

what are you running
    video card
    cpu
    m/board
    ram
    power supply
    brand
    model
    wattage

check the listings in the bios for voltages and temperatures and post them

5. Jimmyjazz

! a response!

I was hoping once I was finished with my video surveillance program, the problem would end, but nope.

I do have new info though. I noticed last time the system froze, and once before, that the video card fan gets much louder the instant after the freeze. And today, I came to my computer and saw with my desktop gadget that the temperature was 95'C! The fan speed was at 0. I quickly went to rivatuner and set it to the 100% fan speed preset, and it cooled it down in a hurry.

For months, I had the fan on it's default auto-control. Yesterday, I set it to 45% constant, and the freezes (fan auto-setting to 0%) have been happening on both configurations.

background info: I got this computer from a friend. He had just installed the operating system and installed a few programs, including rivatuner. I'm not that experienced with it, but it looks like everything is set to default there. I know he used to set custom fan speeds with the previous OS. What I'm wondering is: is it possible that the fan regulation can be changed in the card itself, so that even after a reformat, the settings remain?

The computer is"
    Nvidia 9800 GT (got the latest drivers)
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (3.00GHz)
    4gb ram currently
    64-bit Windows 7
    mobo Asus P5N7A-VM
    brand used to be HP, but half the parts are new and the operating system is uninfected by branding!
    BIOS voltages are for System Clock Mode, IGPU Overclock Mode, Memory over Voltage, Chipset Voltage, CPU Voltage, Memory Timings. ALL are set to AUTO, and I've never touched that area.
    Under Hardware Monitor, there are only temperatures and settings for CPU, MB, Chassis, Power Fan, and then..
    VCORE Voltage 1.2
    3.3 Voltage 3.312
    5 Voltage 5.043
    12 Voltage 12.038

There is a monitor in rivatuner about voltage and it's always 3.33v

Also, I have 8gb of ram, I tried swapping them all out in different combinations and in different slots, and the problem happens equally no matter what I try. So it doesn't seem like they're the problem, although in BIOS it says only 3584mb is usable, but that's a mess for another day...

whoo I hope that makes sense to you

6. dai

dai

take the side off and look at the label on the psu for the details

7. Jimmyjazz

I tried, but it doesn't show. It does have a BFG logo on it, and based on the color-coded ports in the back, the only picture I could find in google that matches it is this: http://www.amazon.com/BFG-Modular-Power-Supply-BFGE550WPSU/dp/B002HZQFLY
    The wattages are shown in the second picture if you zoom.

I am more suspicious of the fan though. It seems like it drops to 0 for a moment and then jumps back up, almost like the downtime between changing of the guards.

I'm going to uninstall Rivatuner and see if it happens again using a different monitoring gadget

8. dai

dai

9. Jimmyjazz

Well it hasn't locked up since uninstalling Rivatuner. I was worried that without it, the fan's AI would be completely disabled, but it's working more intelligently than before. I'll watch it for a few days and if no lockups then I'll mark it solved.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/986290

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice