1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: No signal on monitor! PSU, CPU, MB? Confused

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ajisbak, Apr 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ajisbak

ajisbak Thread Starter

My friends pc that I built 2 years ago started showing no signal to the monitor and I noticed the LED lights on the MB (from L to R) the 1st one stayed on and the other 3 are flashing. I never could find the cause for sure, so assumed it was the MB or CPU from everything I read and asked around. Seems how they were under warranty I sent them back and they sent me what I'm assuming is a refurbished MB (MSI 970A-G46) but a new CPU(AMD FX 4300). I got the PC all put back together and it's doing the exact same thing as it was so now I'm back to being baffled and looking for help!

*I tested the Video card - (SAPPHIRE 100323-2L Radeon HD 6570 1GB 128-Bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card) in my working PC and the card worked.
    *I tested both the memory sticks (Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model BLS2KIT4G3D1609DS1S00) one at a time and even tried my own memory card out of my working PC and still nothing.
    *When the PC first quit (before sending MB and CPU back) I also tried her HDD (Western Digital Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive) in my old PC and it booted up no problem.
    *the tower is (RAIDMAX Altas ATX-295WBP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply) Not sure can the plugs that plug into the MB go bad?

Not sure what other info ya'all would need to help me figure this out, but I'm more then happy to get that info also if I didn't include it already!! Any help if MUCH appreciated because I certainly haven't figured it out yet!! :(

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I am about to sign off as I am in UK
    It is 0050
    Back about 1800

For now
    1. Have you tested cable from graphics to Monitor OR when you tested Sapphire in your computer - ddi you use your cable.

2. and to save me looking what does 1 and 3 flashing mean - even although that was on the old board

3. How is it connected on the No Signal computer
    VGA, DVI, HDMI
    Try if not already VGA

4. That motherboard had problems and MSI found that CPU`s of TDP 125watts caused it to shut down, but you should be OK as the TDP on your CPU is 95 watts

5. depending of course on your response I will make more offers of troubleshooting, when I return.

3. Macboatmaster

that board requires BIOS
    2.2 version
    FX-SeriesVisheraFX-43002003.804M4MC0957693v22.zip
    to work with that CPU

http://www.msi.com/support/mb/970A-G46.html#support_support

and if it is that, with the replacement board the ONLY way is to install a earlier BIOS version CPU and then flash BIOS

original BIOS was of course 1.0
    http://www.msi.com/support/mb/970A-G46.html#support_download

1.10 was first BIOS to support AMD Vishera CPU but according to MSI for the 4300 as you can see 2.2

GOODNIGHT
    Gone

4. ajisbak

ajisbak Thread Starter

I appreciate the help and hope my answers are what you needed.

5. Macboatmaster

See my latest
    What I meant was NOT what leds showed but what that sequence MEANS

as I said GONE
    goodnight

6. ajisbak

ajisbak Thread Starter

The only difference with this build is I had a AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb Quad-Core 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W HDZ965FBGMBOX Processor and when I sent it to AMD they sent me back an AMD FX 4300

7. ajisbak

ajisbak Thread Starter

I have no idea what that sequence means, it did it on the old MB and doing the same thing on this new MB, that's why I'm baffled over what it means and trying to figure it out

8. replay

replay

why dont u download the motherboard manual and look it up.....

9. ajisbak

ajisbak Thread Starter

I have the manual and all it shows is 4 solid lights mean it's in CPU is in 4 Phase Power Mode (from everything I could find that's not a problem). I have 1 solid and 3 flashing and still not a clue if that even has anything to do with the problem. So looking it up in the manual still gave me no clue and that's why I'm here! :)

10. replay

replay

power phase led's should be all solid
    pull the two power plugs on the mobo (24 pin and the 4/8 pin near the cpu) and reattach
    also u could try another KNOWN working power supply

11. ajisbak

ajisbak Thread Starter

I have unattached and reattached both sets of power plugs since rebuilding this the other day. It was doing the same thing when the PC first quit last year also. I don't want to tear my good PC apart to use the PSU in case it does something to this one. And I don't have another spare PSU on hand.

I realize they should be solid, that's why I'm baffled and trying to find out why 3 are flashing all the time

12. replay

replay

well raidmax makes budget computer components incl' their cases and power suppllies ...if u have 2 years out of that cheap psu you have done well!!!!!..........
    i would buy a decent power supplyfrom your local store and do a test
    no need to actually install it in the case ......those two power plugs just need to be inserted
    you can always return the psu to the store AFTER the test

reviewers unhappy with psu http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811156258

13. ajisbak

ajisbak Thread Starter

I realize it was a budget case, but for what it's used for it was enough. I seen the reviews when I bought the case, and not all were unhappy with it, I understand things don't last forever but this PC was hardly used so I don't see why it should quit in 2 years. I just want to figure out if there is a way to determine if it is the PSU or which part that's not working correctly. Its not like she can run out and buy one on a whim if that's not what the problem even is. Not to mention a lot of places won't let you return items once they're opened.

14. Macboatmaster

the motherboard leds are on page 1.29 of the manual
    I suggest you ask MSI what the sequence you have shows, as I found the mention of it but not any indication of what it means

Also re BIOS - and the processor you originally had - you do not of course know which BIOS is on the board you have from MSI

Apart from build errors and the possible PSU fault I have little doubt that MSI is your reference here.

Of course there is always the chance that the board they have sent you is faulty

As I said lots of problems on that board with failures of components appeared mainly due to running 125W CPU`s as I mentioned and of course is what YOU had.

I appreciate that was on the old board.

The way forward from this
    Cheap PSU`s can fail in a lot less than two years

When you say - if it the psu or which part - obviously testing depends on resources available

Another PSU from another computer - borrowed from a friend - if not available - take out the PSU and take it for testing - a local computer repair shop will charge little for that
    OR buy a medium price PSU tester
    Example only
    I have NOT used it and have no idea how reliable it is
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ThermalTake-AC0015-Dr-Power-II-PSU-Tester-20-24-Pin-Sata-Molex-PCI-E-6-and-8/181521037157?_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20141212152715%26meid%3D8dc7dd337228416bb8816c5b32b945f3%26pid%3D100338%26rk%3D18%26rkt%3D26%26sd%3D390550758785

However what I can say is that the cheap versions are a waste of money.
    That said the local computer shop will probably test it for less cost.

I WOULD caution you about testing YOUR PSU in another computer - if it is to blame and still delivering voltage but way off tolerances it COULD damage the other machine

OR IF YOU KNOW what you are doing, test with a multimeter on the connections with the computer ON -
    The old idea of testing simply with the PSU connected to a power source, but not seeing a load - with a multimeter is a non starter as without a load - current demand - voltages are unreliable. However it is better than NO TEST

The standard out of case - test will eliminate any chance of errors in assembly of motherboard etc in case., although with the same motherboard in the same case, it is less likely of course than on a complete new build

I think the likely causes are ;
    1. Build error - connection error
    2. PSU
    3. CPU seating error - damaged pin
    4. Graphics card damaged on previous board
    5. Replacement board is faulty

As I said MSI - leds one on and three flashing is your first enquiry

15. ajisbak

ajisbak Thread Starter

Well I should have stuck with my gut instinct about the PSU. I had tested it with a multimeter and a few were running a little low, so I took it and had it tested before we bought a new one, now I want to get my hands on one of those 24 pin testers some day! :) They even connected one of there PSU's and it booted right up! Now to get this http://www.bestbuy.com/site/thermal...lack/8733872.p?id=1219365660388&skuId=8733872 installed and get it back to her and out of my way!

With the MSI 970A-G46 MB and FX 4300 CPU I should do the bios (the link I put below from you yesterday) you suggested once I get this all up and running again correct??

that board requires BIOS
    2.2 version
    FX-SeriesVisheraFX-43002003.804M4MC0957693v22.zip
    to work with that CPU

I was reading the different versions, but how can you tell which is the correct one? I see the 2.2 you suggested is from 2/4/2013 but just curious how can I tell which version is best when they suggest so many dif ones?? Not sure I've mentioned it but it has Win 7 if that makes a difference.

One other question... is it better to put the fan pointing into the case or out the bottom for better circulation? Thanks again for all your help Macboatmaster!! :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147524

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice