1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: No signal to monitor/colorful monitor crash when gaming

Discussion in 'Games' started by Houlem, Jul 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Houlem

Houlem Thread Starter

Sorry for the long text, I'm trying to send as much information i have.

Hello forums!
    A few years ago i built a new gaming pc because i wanted to be able to play high quality games. But since day 1 i've had nothing but problems. Whenever i play one of my high quality games such as "Assassins Creed, Tomb Raider, Battlefield 3 or Primal Carnage" the monitor goes completely blank showing a "no signal to monitor" sign after gaming for between 5 minutes to up to 2-3 hours. The monitor sometimes also shows different color stripes either for examples: orange, pink or grey. The sound of my friends on skype usually keeps going for about 20 seconds before going silent, the sound of the game shuts off instantly or goes in a loop or starts with a loud buzzing sound. The fans and the LED's on my pc are still going but i can't control anything on the pc making me have to force restart my pc on the power button.
    I've been on this forum before talking to this guy who is helping me but he's been quite busy lately so i need some extra help.
    I've updated all drivers to latest, i never overheat, the GPU does not go over 51C when gaming and CPU never goes over 51C either.
    I've upgraded my 650W powersupply to a 850W power supply and is one of the highest rated best performance power supplies you can find.
    I tried to RMA my graphics card but they found nothing wrong with it and sent it back.
    I bought two new sticks of RAM 4GB each, still crashes. I thought it was my HDMI cable between the monitor and the pc, turns out it's not. I've also tried to underclock my graphics card by 15% and increased my fan speed to 100% when gaming. It still crashes.
    I've never OVERclocked anything.

Here are my specs:
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77M mATX
    Harddrive: 500GB Western Digital SATA-600 16MB 7200RPM
    Processor: Intel Core i5 3570K 3,4Ghz
    Graphics Card: Gigabyte HD7850 2GB GDDR5
    RAM: G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR3 PC12800/1600MHz CL9 2x4GB
    Power Supply: 850W Seasonic X-Series 80PLUS Gold

Thanks in advance!

2. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Wow, it sure sounds like a graphics crash, and you have done a lot to try and fix it.
    A thought popped into my head.... not a good one and might not be easy to test. What if the trouble lies in the motherboard?
    Perhaps the graphics slot is bad. Any chance your motherboard has 2 slots and you can try the other one?

Ah ha! .... I see, your motherboard has a PCI-E 3.0 and a PCI-E 2.0 slot... So I would try the 2.0 slot if you haven't yet.
    a 3.0 card should backward to 2.0 just fine, just will run a little slower than it's capable of. Should work fine for testing sake.
    Also might still be the card. Who knows how they tested it, if they didn't tax the card like gaming the problem may not show up. It could be a simple heat break in a circuit, warms up a little and it opens. If they just plugged it in to a test bench for a minute or two, it may show good.
    Anyone around that could loan you a pci-e 3.0 video card to try?

.. just tossing out ideas. I would try the other slot though if you have not yet.

3. Houlem

Houlem Thread Starter

@Super-D-38
    Thanks for replying!
    I haven't tried to place the graphics card in the other place, i'll do that and will try to game a bit and i'll update you on how it went.
    Also, they said they tested the graphics card by playing battlfield 3 and crysis 2 for over 24 hours without any problems. They also tried furmark and other softwares.

4. Houlem

Houlem Thread Starter

@Super-D-38
    So far no crashes. Probably because i haven't had alot of time to game. I'll keep going for a couple of hours to see if it still crashes. And i should note that the quality has gotten ALOT better since i switched places.

5. Houlem

Houlem Thread Starter

@Super-D-38
    I managed to play "Tomb Raider" for about 1 and a half hours before it crashed with an instant black screen showing "no signal to monitor" with the sound of the game looping around forcing me to hard restart the pc on the power button.

6. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Hmm, that could have just been a game crash. Try a few other games as well as make sure your hard drive is defragmented.
    Sadly we can't call it based on one game.
    Hard crash and looping can be other issues as well. The black screen is just no more signal from the vid card, could be that it's just not rendering anything because the system crashed. .... wonder if you have a software issue someplace.

Better quality? weird, perhaps a timing or power setting is off on the motherboard. Could be from any of the tweaks you tried in troubleshooting the other slot. :confused: Or the motherboard has issues, but still a few tests to run.

And to cover all bases, you do have the proper 12v power running to the video card right? (It wont get enough "juice" from the motherboard alone)
    I'm sorry if I can't get much more specific, as I still have much to learn about voltage and timings on motherboards, but they are things I have picked up skulking around TSG. :D

Hopefully others will pop in with better understanding of how to check the proper voltage.
    Keep at it, we won't let this machine beat us!

7. Houlem

Houlem Thread Starter

@Super-D-38
    I have tried on a few other games and it crashed on all of them. Some also having the looped sound going.
    Also, i was being quite stupid because before i changed seats on the graphics card i increased the graphics quality on the game...
    Also, how do i check if i have the proper 12v power running?

PS. Love that "we wont let this machine beat us!" :)

8. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Not sure how to check exactly, I think it would involve a volt meter. You would need to check the specs on the card for what is required, then the specs on the new PSU... find the correct plug with the right voltage and make sure it is running to the graphics card.

This is a puzzle, "from day one" is what has me stumped. if it was software or drivers, updates should have changed something by now... Does your motherboard require special drivers? Are those up to date?
    Things to update;
    Any motherboard drivers
    Audio
    Video
    Direct X
    Flash player
    Java

You could also go through your motherboard manual and triple check all the voltage/timing settings for your CPU , RAM and graphics.

9. Houlem

Houlem Thread Starter

@Super-D-38
    I went into ASRocks website and looked into the motherboard i'm using and found quite a few drivers and utilities, including the ones that you wrote i should update. So i'll update those (which will probably take a while). And i'll try to play my games which will probably have to be a bit later because as i said, this will probably take it's time.
    I'll update you later on how it goes.

10. Houlem

Houlem Thread Starter

@Super-D-38
    A quick update before i keep testing.
    I updated all drivers and utilities i could. I couldn't install/update some of them because of corrupt files.
    I'll get to gaming for a little bit and see how it goes.
    And one last thing, should i put the graphics card back into the 3.0 slot again? or should i leave it in there?

11. Houlem

Houlem Thread Starter

@Super-D-38
    I can now confirm that it still crashes.

12. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Bummer. So as far as you know it is still the same type of crash as the day you built the machine?

Have you ever tried reinstalling your OS? I won't ask you to do it this long after, because I know how frustrating it is to start over. I'm just down to 2 last ideas. Either a software problem, or a Hardware incompatibility issue.
    Quadruple check your BIOS settings for your exact CPU, RAM, and video. (if they can be adjusted).

I'm stumped for now, but not out. :D It is just much harder for me to troubleshoot without seeing the machine. I do hope the others viewing the post will have a few ideas too.

Edit: If there is a chance you can borrow another pci-e 3.0 or 2.0 card, we could try that. see if maybe your card and motherboard just don't get along.
    But it can be other things. Side trail, I had a DVD-RW drive installed, and my machine refused to even boot up, tried another one different model same brand and it worked. Hardware is fickle sometimes.

13. Houlem

Houlem Thread Starter

@Super-D-38
    1. I haven't tried reinstalling my OS.
    2. I have tried using my friends graphics card before and i think it worked because i managed to play for about 2 - 3 hours. However, sometimes i am able to do that with my own.
    3. I'll quadruple check my BIOS settings aswell.

14. Houlem

Houlem Thread Starter

@Super-D-38
    One more thing, yes it's the same crashes i'm having ever since day 1 that i've had this machine.

15. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

OK, if you can try your friends card again, and test all your games at max playable settings. Try and "push" it if you can. We need to be sure there isn't a conflict with that card you have.
    Pushing a game may make it crash, but take note if the crash seems at all different or pops up any error messages.

Keep at it. Never give up! Never surrender! :D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1104310

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice