Solved: No signal!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ilyabyk83

Banned
:confused: Hi, I have an issue! I have a wireless network at my house! My signal on the first floor (where the router is) is excellent! Second floor is a total different story! Very low signal! See it is all of the houses in our development are like this! I have a cell phone, it also has a very poor service! Most of the time none! I have a friend, which lives four doors down from me, same exact thing! Same house! I live in a town/row house! I ordered "2.4Ghz Omni Directional High Gain Wireless Antenna", as I found out it is not compatible with my router! I have a Linksys WRT54G V.2 router! Can somebody suggest me something, to do or to buy???

TerryNet

Terry
If the ceiling/floor is really good at blocking radio signals (e.g., concrete, metal or lots of wiring or pipes or heating ducts) you may have no luck at all.

The first thing to do is "play" with the router's antenna and then the placement of the router and PC. With the typical router antenna the weakest signal is along the axis of the antenna; so if your antenna is pointing straight up at the upstairs PC you will get a very weak signal even without a floor.

There could be an obstruction in the signal's path--say, a cluster of electrical wires. Moving the router or PC only a slight distance could make a big difference in the signal strength.

wacor

Banned
Just a dumb idea.

Is there a way to attach to split an antenna? or where you could connect 2 antennas?
with the thought being that one would be installed on the 2nd floor where a cable is run from it downstairs into the router? In many cases it is not that hard to run a wire from one floor to the other

ilyabyk83

Banned
Hello! Thank you for helping me here! Both of you! There is no obstruction in the way! The route is sitting on a shelf, 4-5 feet away from the TV! There is no way I can run any wires or anything like that! Isn't there some kind of a booster that I can buy? A booster that is more like what I need, or something similar!

TerryNet

Terry
Doesn't seem like a dumb idea, but if you can run a wire, you can probably run an ethernet cable and have a second Wireless Access Point.

What kind of material is your ceiling made out of and what kind of material is the floor made out of on the second floor? Very possible that the material may be causing some interference. Do you have any fluorescent lamps near the router or in the desired signal path? What you could try doing is moving the router as close as possible to the ceiling and the destination device as close as possible to the floor as to make the distance between the two devices as small as possible.

ilyabyk83

Banned
Some kind of a booster, is more like what I need, I already ordered Netgear Powerline Ethernet Bridge it should do the job, right?

ilyabyk83

Banned
Read it again! "It plugs into an electrical outlet and uses your existing electrical wiring to give your entire household access to your Cable/DSL connection"

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I did read it. You need two of those devices, one at each end. It's NOT an 802.11g compatible device, and it won't receive anything from your Linksys WRT54G V.2 router. FYI, I've tried the power line networking stuff, and it's problematic and slow. I have the gigabit stuff in my closet now, and I can tell you from first hand experience that it sucks.

While it says it's compatible with routers, what they mean is you can plug a router LAN port into one of these, and then use another one at the other end like a slow wire. I suggest you check the specifications page and see if you see 802.11b/g anywhere. You might also look a bit closer at the diagram.

Now, perhaps you want to go back for a third time and read the description. ;)

ilyabyk83

Banned
JohnWill said:
I did read it. You need two of those devices, one at each end. It's NOT an 802.11g compatible device, and it won't receive anything from your Linksys WRT54G V.2 router. FYI, I've tried the power line networking stuff, and it's problematic and slow. I have the gigabit stuff in my closet now, and I can tell you from first hand experience that it sucks.

While it says it's compatible with routers, what they mean is you can plug a router LAN port into one of these, and then use another one at the other end like a slow wire. I suggest you check the specifications page and see if you see 802.11b/g anywhere. You might also look a bit closer at the diagram.

Now, perhaps you want to go back for a third time and read the description. ;)
I did order two kinds of devices, one of each! "Netgear WGX102 Wall-Plugged Wireless G Range Extender" and "Netgear XE102 Powerline Ethernet Bridge Network Adapter" And I did read the instructions! It is exactly what I need!!! Not right stuff? Description says it is!!!

TerryNet

Terry
You sure have me confused. The duplicate post you opened about an hour ago seemed to indicate that you still have a problem getting a signal to the second floor. If not, how come you opened another thread instead of marking this one 'solved' with the above solution. Or didn't you get the stuff to try it yet?

By the way, have you yet determined what it is about that ceiling/floor that is blocking 2.4Ghz and cell phone signals?

wacor

Banned
ilyabyk83 said:
I did order two kinds of devices, one of each! "Netgear WGX102 Wall-Plugged Wireless G Range Extender" and "Netgear XE102 Powerline Ethernet Bridge Network Adapter" And I did read the instructions! It is exactly what I need!!! Not right stuff? Description says it is!!!
Don't take any offense but I am gonna guess you are wrong on this arguement. John is not just another face in the crowd here. He does know what he is talking about. Unless there is something being lost in the translation.

Good luck

ilyabyk83

Banned
I tried opening a new post/threat in a diff threat! It got closed already! And no I didn't determine what is blocking it! And no I didn't find out! I don't really know how! Don't forget, that I have a friend, which lives four doors down, the same exact story with cell phones!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online