1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] No Sound after downloading windows update

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alicatt, Jan 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alicatt

alicatt Thread Starter

Hi:

I need a little help. I just downloaded a windows device driver update. After rebooting I have no sound at all. I have tried to uninstall the update, reinstall the original driver, Tried to use system restore (I have Windows ME) no luck. Rebooted a few million times. I have no clue. You will have to bear with me I am a novice at this. I have the Advanced AC97 Audio for VIA(R) Audio Controller as the driver. Listed for this computer.

Any Ideas? I really apprieciate any help you can give me.

Thanks

:p

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi alicatt, welcome to TSG.

Have you checked the normal stuff, sound card still showing up in device manager, volume controls, etc.?

3. alicatt

alicatt Thread Starter

Thanks for getting back to me. Yeah, I checked all the normal stuff. The driver is operating properly and there are no conflicts. I can even Play the Media player every things works you just don't hear anything.

Let me know if anything comes to mind.

4. ~Candy~

Let's take a look here anyway, open the volume control icon, go to options, properties, place a check mark in everything under playback....now go back and be sure that nothing is muted and the volume levels are up.....also, the speakers are turned on if they are powered? And just for fun, be sure that you have them plugged into the right jack and it's secure......cats have a habit of disconnecting things :D

5. alicatt

alicatt Thread Starter

I tried everything you suggested. I even pulled the CPU out of my desk and checked the speaker plugs. I can hear a little static through the speakers when I jiggle them a little but nothing else. Still no sound.

6. Matrikx_

Matrikx_

At the risk of sounding redundant. I give the answer in most of my posts.... but try going into device manager.....removing the old device and any duplicate of the device if there is one and reboot. When your Pc comes back on it should find the device and load the device driver itself. Most of the time if you have a good device driver but it somehow install poorly this will fix it. I think you have a good driver b/c of the "static sound" . Good Luck and Get back with us so we know how it all goes.

7. alicatt

alicatt Thread Starter

Thanks Matrix for the tip. I did try it but no go. I did notice after I rebooted my PC that the volume icon on the task bar was muted. I removed the mute but that did not do anything either.

I noticed after I downloaded the update from windows that I have a new icon in the task bar called Sound effects. I have tried to remove it but for some reason, it can't be uninstalled. I have no idea where this came from.

Let me now if you get any ideas.

Thanks

8. brianF

brianF

9. ~Candy~

You might open that new program that was installed....it may now have its own sound volume and other settings.

10. chiqantony

chiqantony

as long u said that after upgrading your operating system this problem happened so my dear dont waste your time
    just format and get back to your old operating system and your old configuration take it 100 % from me bcz i faced this b4
    i was upgrading from 95 to 98 and like your problem happened
    only by getting back to 95 it worked

11. supertech

supertech

try reinstaling your multimedia devices via add remove programs also be sure you dont need to have amplified speakers and if you do make sure the amp is warm and plugged in......and just a thought i have never seen device driver updates in windows updates ussally only patches and upgrades so were did you get this driver?

12. alicatt

alicatt Thread Starter

I finally went back to Windows Update and clicked on Support information on how to uninstall update. What I had to do was reinstall the original driver. I followed the instructions and now its working again. (knock on wood)

Thanks for the help Guys.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66557

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice