1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] no sound after formatting

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by classylassy, Apr 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. classylassy

classylassy Thread Starter

Windows ME

creative soundblaster pc1 128 standard

sound worked before the format,,

Have tried going into mycomp/C drive/DRV/audio/SB setup but it wont respond,, Have downloaded updated drivers, still cannot get sound to work.

Creative sound blaster IS in device manager(yellow marks) but not in sounds and multimedia tab/audio.

Any suggestions

Thanks

2. n2gun

n2gun

Go into device manager and remove the driver for it and then install the new driver that you downloaded. The yellow marks indicate a problem and this should cure it.

3. classylassy

Thanks for your reply

But that is exactly my problem,, I have downloaded the correct drivers(have used them before with success) and tried installing them, but my system wont install them, therefore cannot get rid of the yellow marks in device manager. Have even tried an alternative site to d/l the drivers (dont no if that makes any diff at all) but my systemstill wont recognise them. Somethings not right somewhere, as all was well before the format.

Thanks again for your reply, i will keep looking :)

4. zeddy

zeddy

If you have formatted and reinstalled winMe you should try to do this without all your cards in situ. I would format and then add the cards. You could try putting the soundcard in a different PCI slot and see if it is picked up without a device conflict.

5. bookime wood

bookime wood

Howdy

When you got to the device manager and click on the yellow marker, do you select where you have the new driver stored..eg. folder/disc etc?

Try with your original disc and go to device manager and then either let windows find the driver or select it manually.

bookime

6. classylassy

Thanks for your replys.

Have now suceeded in getting the drivers into the correct places and the yellow marks have gone. I X2 clicked on the D/ls and it installed them.(Did this b4 but it didnt want to work then) However sound is now very hard to hear behind all the hissing sound im now getting, only out of 1 speaker! Am having fun trying to get rid of this noise now. :) But at least i can now access the volume controls now, so maybe im getting there :rolleyes: or maybe not, we shall see (or hear)

But thanks for your advice, very much appreciated

7. RSM123

RSM123

Not sure it will help - but you might update your version of DirectX if necessary.

If you don't know which version you have then go Start > Run type DXDIAG and refer to the interface that appears, it will indicate 7.0, 8.0, 8.1, or 9.0b (this being the latest.)

Also on the same interface click Sound / Audio tab and try adjusting the Hardware Acceleration up / down and see if that helps rectify your sound problem.

8. classylassy

Thanks for that,
    seems i have version 9.0b

However, lol, after saying i had some sort of sound......further trial and error resulted in loads of errors and had to do a system restore and sent the system back to the time of NO SOUND, so all is very quiet here :) However i dont have any yellow marks in the device manager under the sound/video/game controllers, or a speaker in the sys tray (cannot turn that on)!! Am wary of installing the sound drivers again as it may bring back all them error boxes again, which also included being unable to get into the system/device manager.

Maybe/should i delete the creative sound blaster pci 128(WMD) in device manager and then reinstall the drivers. Wad da ya fink??

All this has come about after formatting and reloading windows!! and yet when ive done it before, had no probelms putting these drivers in. Have to D/l from creative's site as they dont seem to be loading from the disc i have.

Do ya think it has anything to do with the new HDD they put in for me, said nothing else was touched except the graphics card.. NAH! cant be!

Looks like I might send it back to them to sort this out again. :eek:

Am rambling again.........HAPPY EASTER again :D

9. RSM123

RSM123

You might download the drivers

Delete the entry from Device Manager

Reboot & See if it detects the device and asks for you to install.

Also - does your motherboard have Onboard Audio ?

Just for reference you might check in the Bios :

With the pc off - hold down the delete key (try both as it varies between different pcs.)

When the BIOS Screen appears - I believe you need to check under the heading 'Integrated Peripherals' ... check for any reference to Audio. Its often listed as AC97 - If you have that use the arrow keys to highlight it - and check Onboard Audio is set to 'disabled'.

If / when you have made this amendment go back to the main BIOS Menu and navigate to 'Save & Exit Setup' and then hit enter for yes when prompted.

The pc should then boot into Win

This happened to a friend the other day.

He bought a better card - but after removing the older card the pc reverted to O/board when it booted as obviously the dedicated card had been removed.

The BIOS Setting above was the reason

10. classylassy

HOUSTON!!! We no longer have a problem,,, Down loading all the ME updates is what proberly helped :rolleyes: AND then installing the drivers..

I had D/L the updates earlier but then did the driver update. Then had probelms!!! :p

Did it in the right order this time..

Well thats where i think i went wrong,,, soooooooo simple really.

If at first you dont succeed ....... go and have a holiday and then start all over again!!!! (Or give up and let someone else try. Your choice)

Thanks for all your input. (y)

No doubt will be back soon enuff with some other silly problem.

11. RSM123

RSM123

I have just been given two tickets to Paris - busy ???

:D

12. classylassy

Now theres an offer!! Are computors trouble free in Pais??

Now that wont make any sense, as you will do that nasty trick of deleting last post.

13. RSM123

RSM123

Now ... now - Its just a Blairite trick I picked up watching our great leader.

:D

No - I'm self employed and I was given two tickets to Paris to be taken within the next 1 month.

25th is my birthday (3*cough*5) - so I won't be leaving it too long. By the looks of things I haven't got long.

Glad you got your 2 problems solved.

Richard.

14. classylassy

Diary looks much too busy. lol

(Glad you got your 2 problems solved.)

And there was me thinking i only had 1 problem

15. RSM123

RSM123

1 Problem ?

1 - No sound after formating

2 - XXXTOOLBAR in your Hijack log.

Hmmmm - sounds like 2 problems to me. :eek: :D

If you fancy a trip to Paris - let me know.

Kindest regards,

Richard.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218390

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice