Solved: No sound after installing drivers for graphics card

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Panzer4

I installed a Radeon 4670 graphics card (AGP) and the driver that came on the installation disc. It works great. I use the onboard sound (Realtek 97), but then I decided to install the audio driver from the graphics card disc and now I have no sound at all. Apparently the graphics card does have sound capabilities, which I suppose would be an improvement over Realtek 97, so I would like to enable it if possible, but at this point, I just want sound. The solution that comes to mind would be to uninstall Realtek. Right? I would appreciate your advice.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
If your computer actually has Realtek AC'97 Audio, the most current Windows XP driver for it is 5.10.0.6300 and can be downloaded from here.

Select one of the "Download @ MajorGeeks" links to download and save it, then close all open windows, then double-click it to start the install process.

------------------------------------------------------------

Panzer4

I reinstalled the Realtek drivers and still nothing. So I clicked the volume icon in the task bar, then selected adjust audio properties -- audio, and found a drop down with "ATI audio rear output" selected instead of Realtek. When I changed that, it worked again. I must say that I would like to find out how to make the ATI audio work, but what the heck--at least I have audio.

Triple6

Rob
To use the ATI/AMD audio you must connect an HDMI cable from the video card to a monitor, TV, or stereo/surround sound system that supports HDMI audio input. The AMD audio only works if you use the HDMI Port, DisplayPort on newer cards, on the AMD graphics card.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online