1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: No sound after installing drivers for graphics card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Panzer4, Feb 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Panzer4

Panzer4 Thread Starter

I installed a Radeon 4670 graphics card (AGP) and the driver that came on the installation disc. It works great. I use the onboard sound (Realtek 97), but then I decided to install the audio driver from the graphics card disc and now I have no sound at all. Apparently the graphics card does have sound capabilities, which I suppose would be an improvement over Realtek 97, so I would like to enable it if possible, but at this point, I just want sound. The solution that comes to mind would be to uninstall Realtek. Right? I would appreciate your advice.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If your computer actually has Realtek AC'97 Audio, the most current Windows XP driver for it is 5.10.0.6300 and can be downloaded from here.

Select one of the "Download @ MajorGeeks" links to download and save it, then close all open windows, then double-click it to start the install process.

------------------------------------------------------------

3. Panzer4

Panzer4 Thread Starter

I reinstalled the Realtek drivers and still nothing. So I clicked the volume icon in the task bar, then selected adjust audio properties -- audio, and found a drop down with "ATI audio rear output" selected instead of Realtek. When I changed that, it worked again. I must say that I would like to find out how to make the ATI audio work, but what the heck--at least I have audio.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    To use the ATI/AMD audio you must connect an HDMI cable from the video card to a monitor, TV, or stereo/surround sound system that supports HDMI audio input. The AMD audio only works if you use the HDMI Port, DisplayPort on newer cards, on the AMD graphics card.

5. Panzer4

Panzer4 Thread Starter

Aha! Thank you kindly.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You're welcome.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088448

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice