1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: No Sound and and Unknown Device on Audio Bus trying to install

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tesugu, Sep 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tesugu

tesugu Thread Starter

Hi I don't have sound and haven't for the past few days and then this morning a Found New Hardware Wizard keeps popping up trying to install software for an Unknown Device on High Definition Audio Bus.

In the Device Manager, there are yellow question marks near Other Devices and then below it, in sub categories is a list of at least 20 (!) Unknown Device on High Definition Audio Bus.

In the Audio Device section, there are NO Playback Devices, NO Recording Devices, No Midi Playback and the same in the Voice section. Usually I have Realtek listed there.

Thank you for any help.
    XP SP3, Intel Cel. 3.06Ghz, 512 Ram.

2. Lance1

Lance1

Is your sound on-board or is it PCI? Try reloading the drivers for your sound.

3. tesugu

tesugu Thread Starter

Hi Lance,
    I guess it's PCI as it usually is Realtek AC '97 Audio that comes up as the default Audio device for Sound playback.
    Realtek is listed under the Hardward devices in Sounds, Speech and Audio devices and says it is working properly, but that doesn't mean much!!

Also sometimes I have another sound device, Bluetooth AV/HS Audio which takes over the Realtek AC as the default by itself, and this doesn't produce any sound at all (this is what I thought happened in the first place as it has happened quite a few times in the past.) Can I safely delete this one if I find it?

I cannot find the cd for the Realtek driver, so I'm d/loading it now from Cnet and will reload it so it will work once more!

Much appreciated your answer and help!

:)Tes

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!