1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: No sound coming from speakers on Vista

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by seanmt, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. seanmt

seanmt Thread Starter

I recently bought a second hand computer, the person I bought it off claims the sound worked but It hasn't worked for me.

Operating System: Windows Vista Business 64-bit
    Speakers: Philips SPA9300 2.1 100W Multimedia Speakers
    Sound Card: Realtek AC'97 Audio
    Driver Date: 14/08/2007
    Driver Version: 6.0.1.6251

The driver is the one recommended by Windows Update. I have also tried my old Dell PC speakers and they didn't work either.

I then went onto the device manager and 'updated the driver'. It did a search and updated the driver to:

Driver Date: 23/06/2006
    Driver Version: 5.10.0.6120

Restarted the computer and still no sound. Any ideas?

2. jazz3000

jazz3000

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/ and http://www.tweakvista.com/ is the best shot I can give you. Have Vista and had the same problem until all the Updates from Microsoft finished downloading. Once I tweaked it with all the tweak site suggestions it worked. I just thought it was a miracle as I can't say to this day why it suddenly decided to work. LOL...Let us know...Jazz

3. Goldfish92

Goldfish92

First, has the audio device installed? Second, can you try another set of speakers?

4. seanmt

seanmt Thread Starter

Yes the audio device has installed (see screenshot). The digital output is disabled as the person I bought it off suggested that to see if it would work, no difference though.

I only have 2 sets of speakers, no sound from either of them. I havn't tried headphones yet. I will have a go with some headphones shortly and see if they work.

I have tried installing that driver, no difference, apart from that it is not digitally signed.

Attached Files:

5. Goldfish92

Goldfish92

Are the speakers you have 2.1? Also, does the sound bar go up and down whilst you are playing music?

6. seanmt

seanmt Thread Starter

Well the ones I tried first are 2.1, they are linked to in the first post if you need more information. But the Dell ones I tried are just 2 small normal pc speakers with no subwoofer, they simply connect straight into the PC.

Yes the sound bar does go up and down (on that screen in the attachment from the last post) when playing music.

7. Goldfish92

Goldfish92

Well, if the bar is moving and the device appears to be installed correctly it sounds like either the speakers or the connector. Can you plug the speakers into any front headphone port to check them

8. seanmt

seanmt Thread Starter

I dont have any other ports to plug it into. The actual speakers work though as I am using them at the moment on my XBOX 360 by plugging in a cable into the speakers wired remote control. The connector is fine too, as when I first noticed they wernt working I could still plug them back into my old pc and they worked fine.

9. midnight51

midnight51 Banned

You could always try updating your directx... I know that updates a lot of drivers. Worth a shot.

Good luck
    Josh

10. seanmt

seanmt Thread Starter

Tried that, still no change.

11. hollers

hollers

I've got this problem on my vaio. At first there was no volume, this was remedied by putting headphones in and out, a loose connection maybe but it then worked. Two days later the laptop speakers seem distant and tinny - any advice??

Thanks in advance

Hollers

12. midnight51

midnight51 Banned

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

14. seanmt

seanmt Thread Starter

Downloaded that program. I'm not really sire what im looking for so here are 2 screenshots of what i think are the relevant parts..

Attached Files:

15. pdangeruss

pdangeruss

Have you tried Start/Control Panel/Sound/manage audio devices? When there, you have to tell the system what output (jack) you want to use and then what kind of speakers you have (2, 2.1, 5.1 etc.) then it configures it for you and gives you test tones for checking them and trouble shooting proceedures.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643674

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice