Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: No sound coming from speakers on Vista

5K views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  seanmt 
#1 ·
I recently bought a second hand computer, the person I bought it off claims the sound worked but It hasn't worked for me.

Operating System: Windows Vista Business 64-bit
Speakers: Philips SPA9300 2.1 100W Multimedia Speakers
Sound Card: Realtek AC'97 Audio
Driver Date: 14/08/2007
Driver Version: 6.0.1.6251

The driver is the one recommended by Windows Update. I have also tried my old Dell PC speakers and they didn't work either.

I then went onto the device manager and 'updated the driver'. It did a search and updated the driver to:

Driver Date: 23/06/2006
Driver Version: 5.10.0.6120

Restarted the computer and still no sound. Any ideas?

#4 ·
Goldfish92 said:
First, has the audio device installed? Second, can you try another set of speakers?
Yes the audio device has installed (see screenshot). The digital output is disabled as the person I bought it off suggested that to see if it would work, no difference though.

I only have 2 sets of speakers, no sound from either of them. I havn't tried headphones yet. I will have a go with some headphones shortly and see if they work.

jazz3000 said:
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/ and http://www.tweakvista.com/ is the best shot I can give you. Have Vista and had the same problem until all the Updates from Microsoft finished downloading. Once I tweaked it with all the tweak site suggestions it worked. I just thought it was a miracle as I can't say to this day why it suddenly decided to work. LOL...Let us know...Jazz
I have tried installing that driver, no difference, apart from that it is not digitally signed.

Attachments

#6 ·
Well the ones I tried first are 2.1, they are linked to in the first post if you need more information. But the Dell ones I tried are just 2 small normal pc speakers with no subwoofer, they simply connect straight into the PC.

Yes the sound bar does go up and down (on that screen in the attachment from the last post) when playing music.

#8 ·
I dont have any other ports to plug it into. The actual speakers work though as I am using them at the moment on my XBOX 360 by plugging in a cable into the speakers wired remote control. The connector is fine too, as when I first noticed they wernt working I could still plug them back into my old pc and they worked fine.

#13 ·
#15 ·
Have you tried Start/Control Panel/Sound/manage audio devices? When there, you have to tell the system what output (jack) you want to use and then what kind of speakers you have (2, 2.1, 5.1 etc.) then it configures it for you and gives you test tones for checking them and trouble shooting proceedures.

#17 ·
Vista has native drivers for the realtek sound so it really should not need any other driver unless you want to update to the latest and greatest.
I am curious to what color speaker or audio out connector are your speakers connected?

You should have either three or four connectors; green, orange, black and maybe blue.

#18 ·
crjdriver said:
Vista has native drivers for the realtek sound so it really should not need any other driver unless you want to update to the latest and greatest.
I am curious to what color speaker or audio out connector are your speakers connected?

You should have either three or four connectors; green, orange, black and maybe blue.
Well my speaker only has one wire that goes into the computer and that is a green one. But on the back of the tower there are different coloured holes to use if my speakers had those connectors.

chuck911 said:
You may want to try this: Right click on the speaker on the system tray and display the "properties". Be sure that the "mute" box is not checked. If it is - uncheck it. I had the same problem and that was the solution.
Nop it is not on mute. I have checked all over for things that may be on mute and it is definitely not that.

pdangeruss said:
Have you tried Start/Control Panel/Sound/manage audio devices? When there, you have to tell the system what output (jack) you want to use and then what kind of speakers you have (2, 2.1, 5.1 etc.) then it configures it for you and gives you test tones for checking them and trouble shooting proceedures.
I'm not at home right now but i will give that a try tomorrow sometime and let you know how it goes.

#19 ·
Right, I have 2 different sound managers and they are both shown below in attachments. On both of them they are set to 2 speakers (as 2.1 is not an option) and when I tried testing no sound comes out of the speakers.

Also on the ASUS sound manager it shows all the different connectors on the back of my computer, I plug my speakers into the green line out hole.

Attachments

#20 ·
When you first open Manage Audio devices it should bring up this screen. (attached) This screen determines which connectors and sound device you need to connect to. Since you have two, the settings here determine which connectors to use. Then after you choose which, select "Set Default" to make it the default one. In this screenshot you can see I have chosen SPDIF (the green check mark). After you have chosen which output you want to use, you then click on "configure" after it places the green check mark by the chosen device, you may have to click on it again to be able to choose "Configure".,and it will take you to one of the screens that you showed in your screenshots to begin setting it up.

First, you choose which output to use (make it default), then you configure it to match your speakers (2, 5.1, etc.). Now the hard part... Depending on your motherboard and sound devices installed, there are several plugs on the back. Since you are only using 2 speakers, you should only be concerned with the "Green Colored Plug". That's the standard left/right. If you have more than one, then try one at a time during the configure process (test tones), this should let you know which plug you need to be using. Make sure before you begin that the "Mute" isn't on and the volume is about 3/4.

Another tip, if you just hover (don't click) the cursor over the speaker icon in systray, it will show you the volume level and the defaulted sound device. This helps sometimes when deciding which sound device to configure (or change from) in control panel.

Okay, Sorry, I saw your thumbnail on the other page. One thing you need to know about the Realtek AC97 is that it has jack sensing, and plug reassignment capabilities. I saw from your screenshot that the line out is the green one, green is correct, but "line out" is not for the speakers... Try the other plugs while in the configure mode (test tone), one at a time. If that doesn't work, try setting the speaker configuration to 8 speakers (if available) and using the black "side speaker" connector plug.

Attachments

#21 ·
Right, I have managed to get the 2 satellite speakers to work by configuring the sound device to having a 7.1 system. But I don't think my subwoofer works using this, only the 2 satellite speakers.

Also when I opened the ASUS Sound Manager program I got a blue screen.

#23 ·
Well thats a major shame if 2.1 doesn't work on Vista as its a pretty terrible experience listening to music without a sub. Oh well :(

Thanks for all your help guys. If anyone knows of a way to get 2.1 working properly with Vista though please let me know!

#25 ·
seanmt said:
Well thats a major shame if 2.1 doesn't work on Vista as its a pretty terrible experience listening to music without a sub. Oh well :(

Thanks for all your help guys. If anyone knows of a way to get 2.1 working properly with Vista though please let me know!
On the setup for your sound, you should have an option for speaker fill. Make sure that is checked. Vista has problems with multi channel sound and that does help. It "Should" be fixed when sp1 is released to the general public.

#26 ·
Okay, now you know the sound card works with the resident drivers/codecs... It is now just a matter of configuring it properly. If you are trying to use a subwoofer that isn't a 2 speaker setup, that should be a 2.1 setup. But as I mentioned before the onboard Realtek AC97 chip has the ability through the software to reassign the connectors, and they are connection sensing as well (if enabled). I'm not familiar with your particular computer and I don't recall in the thread (although I could have missed it, again!) if you gave the complete model and specs for your computer.

My suggestion to you now is to get your model/spec number for the computer go to the ASUS support sight, http://support.asus.com/ ; and download (free) the actual manual for the model you have. This will give the exact setup and connection preceedure for your particular version of the Realtek AC97 chip and its related software. There are many versions of this chip and software available but yours is propietary (unique to your computer/motherboard) so to configure it properly you really need this information from the ASUS manual.

You can also find there updated information on your computers driver/software support for VISTA 64 bit. Vista 64 (at this time) is a little problematic with driver support from vendors, but with the sound setup you have that shouldn't be the problem for you, just the AC97 setup proceedures. Since this computer is new to you, you should also ALWAYS pay attention with sotware and driver information, that what you are doing is supported and specifically for VISTA 64 bit, it is very different from the 32 bit version in its implementation and compatability. Hope this helped...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.