1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: No sound, dell dimension 4600

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Dannn, Aug 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dannn

Dannn Thread Starter

Hi, im running a dell dimension 4600 and just today there is no sound from my speakers. I tried re-installing my driver, checked to see if it's muted, checked BIOS. It was working yesterday... Any help would be great

Can anyone tell me how to check my Sound Playback device and playback programs? I'm using Media Player and iTunes

I tried other speakers and there is still no sound

Also, forgot to mention that my speaker makes a static/fuzzy noise when i turn it up.

Thanks!

2. The Hound

The Hound

Welcome to TSG...

Click start, control panel (classic view), sound and audio devices, sounds tab (and audio tab).
    No sounds at all, or just no music?
    Are you able to hear sound through the front panel headphone jack?
    If so, will the speakers work if connected there?

3. Dannn

Dannn Thread Starter

No sounds at all, just static comming from the speaker when it's turned up high
    I tried headphones and connecting the speaker in the front panel headphone jack but still the same.

4. The Hound

The Hound

Okay...Click start, control panel (classic view), sounds and audio devices, hardware tab, double click your sound card.
    Click the plus to expand audio devices, and double click your sound card again.
    Make sure the bullet is in 'Use Audio Features on this Device'.

Lots more places to check, but let's go one at a time.

5. Dannn

Dannn Thread Starter

OK, the bullet is in 'Use Audio Features on this Device' and im running SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio.

6. The Hound

The Hound

Okay.
    Click start, control panel (classic view), sounds and audio devices, hardware tab, double click your sound card.
    Click properties, click the plus to expand mixer devices, double click your sound card again...bullet in use mixer features on this device.
    Is the volume control on your taskbar as usual? If yes, right click it, and select 'open volume control'. Click 'options', and properties...playback-check that the mixer device is listed, and that all playback items are checked. Reopen the volume control with the right click--make sure that volume, wave volume, cd audio--no mutes, no zeros.

7. Dannn

Dannn Thread Starter

Yep, everything you said is OK

8. The Hound

The Hound

Okay--all these steps and bullets and checkmarks--if you made any changes, did you reboot? If yes, then click start, run, type devmgmt.msc and click ok.
    Any yellow marks in device manager? If no, then let's remove your soundmax device (s), and reboot.

??Nobody snuck a pci sound card in on you, did they?

9. Dannn

Dannn Thread Starter

There are no yellow marks, i rebooted and soundmax reinstalled with the same problem

10. The Hound

The Hound

Okay---where did you get the driver?

11. Dannn

Dannn Thread Starter

It came with the pc, maybe it's dead or something?

12. The Hound

The Hound

No, but sometimes a driver update from Windows Update renders things useless...

Find the service tag on your dell. Go to this page, click 'add or edit service tag', enter it there. Download the audio driver that Dell offers, and let's try that.

13. Dannn

Dannn Thread Starter

Ok, i downloaded the audio driver but it was the same one as i have now. Maybe i need a new sound card?

14. The Hound

The Hound

Yeah..I was hoping not to come to that. I put a twenty dollar sound card in my Dimension 4600 and don't regret it for a minute. The soundmax was a bit crackly--I don't use the sound on it for much except background music when I'm working...

I'm pretty much out of ideas other than to try another sound card-if you can put your hands on an old soundblaster pci (they work in just about any machine, and there are tons of them still stuck in old machines which aren't being used anymore--garage sales, geek friends offices (like mine)...Sorry it turned into a hardware thing...

15. Dannn

Dannn Thread Starter

Ok thanks for your help! I'll look for a new sound card next time

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/606954