1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: No Sound from MOV files!

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by DesktopDad, Feb 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DesktopDad

DesktopDad Thread Starter

Since re-installing W7, I have no sound from MOV files shot on my Canon from Quicktime, VLC, Mediaplayer and Adobe Premiere Elements. I can convert the files to mp4 and they play fine in iTunes but still not with other players. There is sound for the first second but it quickly drops off to a muffle. I have installed a few codec packs but nothing has helped. I've attached some file parameters. The files also play on my W8 machine, no problem.

Attached Files:

2. DesktopDad

DesktopDad Thread Starter

So technically I've solved the problem. Started thinking it couldnt be a Codec issue so I ran some diagnostics, etc to no avail. Then went to Control Panel - Sound - Playback and found alot of options for speaker systems. I just started changing the default speaker system until I got sound. What I dont understand is why iTunes and my system sounds still worked when the default sound system was incorrect. Any ideas?

3. Oddba11

Oddba11 It's My Birthday!

First Name:
    Jim
    First and foremost, I do not recommend using codec packs.

Also, the fact that you were having the issue in multiple media players, pretty much eliminates the codecs as some players such as VLC uses it's own codecs (not the system codecs). Which is why it (ie: VLC, MPC, MPC-HC, etc.) are recommended for testing. Just as an FYI for the future.

Without knowing exactly what was changed, it's hard to say. Sounds like just a glitch in the config, and whatever you were changing, corrected the config.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142431

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice