1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: No Sound Help I Am Begging

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nvisible, Jan 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nvisible

Nvisible Thread Starter

Ok this is going to be winded so hold on

ok built a system recently and skimped on a few things because it is for the girl friend and she is just a basic Email and MP3 person sooooo. The computer is set like this

PT800CE-A ECS MOTHER BOARD
    P4 3.2 GHZ PROCESSOR
    64MB ATI CARD AGP
    512 MB DDR
    ON BOARD EVERYTHING ELSE

ok that is were i am having the problem the Realtek AC 97 sound card.. Runaway now right ya wish i could.. well The dang thing just dont work... i installed everything XP PRO SP2 and ETC
    and the sound didnt work I played with it and finally got it to work with the latest drivers. but the front channel does not work i have to hook the speakers up to the line out and use the mixer to change that channel to a rear speaker channel which in turn only plays certain sounds and is at a very low volume. I emailed realtek took them two weeks to respond told me clean install of XP with no PCI devices in the machine... well THERE IS NONE. very irritated i waited two weeks for that. I emailed them again and this is week 3 with no response. I have tried goggle searches and seems there is similar problems out there but no fixes. So I turn to you all the people that got me through my very first computer build to help me with this issue. I will take any ideas at that this point. short of taking the cheap mother board that i should have not skimped on and throw it out the window.

Thanks guys I know you will not let me down..

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    You did skimp on the motherboard didnt you? ECS Motherboards are sort of bottom of the barrel as far as Computer Components are concerned. Not only in quality but in tech support a well.
    I just checked your motherboard manual and it really doesnt give anything about the sound card. When you say front channel, are you referring to the fron connections on your computer case?

To be honest with you I would disable the onboard sound in Bios and install something like a Sound blaster Live 24 Bit. Available at places like walmart for around $30. You will get better sound reproduction out of it than the onboard sound.

3. Nvisible

Nvisible Thread Starter

When I say front channel i mean the actuall line out. Sorry I did not mean to be confusing. I referred to it as front channel becouse the only way i can get it to work is to turn it to 4-6 speaker mode. and it turns the line in jack into a rear speaker jack ... that jack will play but again it is like listening to music from just the rear speakers of a surround sound system the vocals are real faded and sound far away almost echoey. And yes I know I should just go to ebay and by that sound blaster for 7 bucks + shipping... but you know how it is I am guy I cant give up on it tell I just loose interest in it. LOL :cool:

4. brite750

brite750

the mobo is crap, get a new one, sound problems on a new install usually means bad board, go with an Asus, Abit, anyone besides ECS or PcChips

5. Blfalcon

Blfalcon

There is an updated sound controler for your board at the ecs web site

6. brite750

brite750

you can try that, but if the sc doesnt work with drivers that it came with on a new system , that really isnt a good sign.

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I was trying to nice, but yeah that mobo is CRAP. Emachines use Pc Chips and ECS motherboards. Like I said bottom of the barrel.

Are you using 4 channel or 6 channel speakers or just 2 channel powered speakers? If just 2 channel, do you not get anything when setting the speakers in your sound controller to Stereo?

Yeah $7 plus shipping is cheap, but you dont know what you are really getting from ebay until it arrives. And you wont be getting a Factory Warranty nor Factory Tech Support. While Walmart has the sound blaster live 24 bit going at $27.94 right now.

8. Nvisible

Nvisible Thread Starter

Aight just incase any of you have this problem... Try reading the mother board book LMAO .... make sure that the audio jumpers are in the correct place. Pins 5-6 and 9-10 need to be jumped. And guess what my peice of crap sound card works now... Thanks guys for everything. Sometimes just being able to bounce ideas a round is all any one really needs.

9. brite750

brite750

Ah you see ECS figured you really didnt want to use your sound card:D hope wjile you were in there (manual) you might want to check out what other little bombs they put in there for you to find. Most mobo makers set jumper defaults to something useful:rolleyes: I wonder how many moboz got rma'd on that one.:rolleyes: glad to see you got it knocked though.(y)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/432161

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice