1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: No sound in IE or Firefox

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Vienna, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Vienna

Vienna Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm completely flummoxed by the fact that I cannot play any sound 'in the internet', for example when using sites such as Youtube or Tumblr etc. The video will play fine but there is no sound at all. I can download music through iTunes etc and it'll play fine but when I try and play music/videos online - nada, zilch, zippo. Even using the Realplayer download feature on Youtube won't work. :confused:

I've tried using IE and Firefox, I've checked all the stuff in Advanced Settings is checked, I've tried resetting everything and STILL nothing. :mad:

Up until about 4 months ago it worked fine - I think the problems started when I tried to update Realplayer or Flash Player.

Any recommendations would be very welcome!

Vie x

Laptop: Toshiba Equium A200
    Internet security: Kaspersky/Spybot/Windows Defender
    IE and Firefox

2. Vienna

Vienna Thread Starter

Bumpity bump bump!

Please help if you can, I'd be really grateful!

3. Pollex

Pollex

Try running a selective startup from your msconfig. Start - Run / Search - msconfig - <enter>
    This will bring up your System Configuration Utility.

Click on the startup tab and choose "Disable all". Apply and OK, restart is required.
    Click ok on the message when you reboot.
    Attempt your connection and check sound again.
    If it is fixed, some startup app is affecting you, and you should re-enable them a few at a time to figure out which program is the culprit.
    If not, go back into msconfig and re-check the "Normal Startup" box, under the General tab, and click ok to restart again back in normal mode.

If you are using IE, you could try running with "No Add-On's". This is an option that you can select by doing so:
    Click Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools, and then click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).
    If your problem stop's with just this, you should determine which add on is the cause, by re-enabling them one at a time.

If you are using Firefox:
    In Windows, click Start, open the All Programs list, and navigate to the Mozilla Firefox folder. In the Mozilla Firefox folder, select Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode). There are options there for reseting/ and disabling your add-on's specifically.

Another bit of info is to check to make sure you have all of the latest codec's for playing video/audio. Here is a link to a good pack of codec's:
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Mega_Codec_Pack.htm

4. Vienna

Vienna Thread Starter

I did the thing with Firefox and the Add-ons and whaddaya know, it works! :)

Thanks for your help! It was driving me nuts...

Vie xxx

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!