Solved: No sound on Dell XPS

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bigox

Hi. I today, when I went on my computer, there was no sound all of the sudden. I have had sound before. It is not my speakers that are the problem, because my headphones and earphones don't work either. I made sure that the volume is max on volume mixer. I am really confused. Restarting never worked. My dxdiag is attached. I have windows 7 btw.

Attachments

Hi,
Welcome to TSG.
Before anything else, let's check the following basics first.
- speaker is powered on and the volume on speaker itself (hardware) is fine
- speaker is properly plugged in
- make sure that the volume is not in mute (software). though volume is already set to max, sometimes the red circle at the speaker icon (mute indicator) is not being noticed.

Then you can try these steps.
- check device manager and make sure the sound driver is properly installed. Better to uninstall and re-install it or update it even if it shows no error
- open sound properties, under playback option, make sure to select the correct default speaker

bigox

Hi,
Welcome to TSG.
Before anything else, let's check the following basics first.
- speaker is powered on and the volume on speaker itself (hardware) is fine
- speaker is properly plugged in
- make sure that the volume is not in mute (software). though volume is already set to max, sometimes the red circle at the speaker icon (mute indicator) is not being noticed.

Then you can try these steps.
- check device manager and make sure the sound driver is properly installed. Better to uninstall and re-install it or update it even if it shows no error
- open sound properties, under playback option, make sure to select the correct default speaker
I made sure that the speakers were powered and plugged in, and the volume is not muted and set at max for both my speakers and headphones. I checked my device mangers, and found 3 sound devices: AMD High Definition Audia Device, Intel(R) Display Audio, and Realtek High Definition Audio. Not sure which one I should be reinstalling. Also, when I put in my USB headset, I can hear. I can not hear with my headphones and speakers that are plugged in through the earphone jack. I have two on my computer, so I tried the other jack and it still never worked, so the jack is probably not the problem. When I plug in my headset and go to device manager, my headset is show (called speakers), but when I do this for my headphones and speakers, they are not shown in device manager.

Thanks for your help.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You appear to have a Dell XPS 8300 desktop.

Here is the Windows 7 32-bit/64-bit audio driver(6.0.1.6141) that's listed for it.

This is actually the most current version(6.0.1.6662) for it.

---------------------------------------------------------

bigox

You appear to have a Dell XPS 8300 desktop.

Here is the Windows 7 32-bit/64-bit audio driver(6.0.1.6141) that's listed for it.

This is actually the most current version(6.0.1.6662) for it.

---------------------------------------------------------
TYVM. It worked

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online