1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: No sound on Dell XPS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bigox, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bigox

bigox Thread Starter

Hi. I today, when I went on my computer, there was no sound all of the sudden. I have had sound before. It is not my speakers that are the problem, because my headphones and earphones don't work either. I made sure that the volume is max on volume mixer. I am really confused. Restarting never worked. My dxdiag is attached. I have windows 7 btw.

Attached Files:

2. bigox

bigox Thread Starter

anyone can help please?

3. Lucky09

Lucky09

Hi,
    Welcome to TSG.
    Before anything else, let's check the following basics first.
    - speaker is powered on and the volume on speaker itself (hardware) is fine
    - speaker is properly plugged in
    - make sure that the volume is not in mute (software). though volume is already set to max, sometimes the red circle at the speaker icon (mute indicator) is not being noticed.

Then you can try these steps.
    - check device manager and make sure the sound driver is properly installed. Better to uninstall and re-install it or update it even if it shows no error
    - open sound properties, under playback option, make sure to select the correct default speaker

4. bigox

bigox Thread Starter

I made sure that the speakers were powered and plugged in, and the volume is not muted and set at max for both my speakers and headphones. I checked my device mangers, and found 3 sound devices: AMD High Definition Audia Device, Intel(R) Display Audio, and Realtek High Definition Audio. Not sure which one I should be reinstalling. Also, when I put in my USB headset, I can hear. I can not hear with my headphones and speakers that are plugged in through the earphone jack. I have two on my computer, so I tried the other jack and it still never worked, so the jack is probably not the problem. When I plug in my headset and go to device manager, my headset is show (called speakers), but when I do this for my headphones and speakers, they are not shown in device manager.

Thanks for your help.

5. bigox

bigox Thread Starter

anyone know wats wrong?

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You appear to have a Dell XPS 8300 desktop.

Here is the Windows 7 32-bit/64-bit audio driver(6.0.1.6141) that's listed for it.

This is actually the most current version(6.0.1.6662) for it.

---------------------------------------------------------

7. bigox

bigox Thread Starter

TYVM. It worked

8. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    :D :) (y)

-----------------------------------------------------------

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087174

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice