1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: No sound through speakers, headphones, system sounds, DVD wont play

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by David_Jr, Jun 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. David_Jr

David_Jr Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6600 @ 2.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3963 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family, 6 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 464503 MB, Free - 109261 MB;
    Motherboard: TOSHIBA, Portable PC
    Antivirus: Norton 360 Premier Edition, Updated and Enabled

As the title suggests no sound through the laptop speakers or the headphone out. Last Saturday my laptop prompted me to download 2 important Windows updates. One of the two updates was Internet Explorer 10. After installation and restart everything seemed ok. Then I went on the internet and almost immediately I was getting this popup "Ulead MP3 Codec: About" "Ulead MP3 Codec v1.0.18" and then an OK button as the only option. You could proceed no further unless you clicked OK, but once clicked the web page froze. I believe I was trying to read NY Post online at the time. So I started Googling the problem and see that many others have the same most in association with checking either AOL email or some other web based email program and it was associated with sound. The fix recommended for everyone was either to turn off sounds in email, download Windows 7 Codec pack from MS Updates or to put Ulead.com as a blocked site on IE. I tried the latter two as I do not us web based email, rather I use MS Outlook. No joy. So I uninstalled IE 10 and rolled back to IE 9. No joy. Only now I have no sound through my speakers or my headphone output. So I did a system restore to earlier that morning and everything seemed to be ok and speakers and headphone out were both working. On Sunday the Ulead popup was back and now I have no speakers again. Googled and tried many fix attempts including uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, enabling and un-enabling devices and nothing worked. Now a week later and I go to use Toshiba DVD player and I am getting error "An error has occurred during playback." I am at wits end and don't know how to solve this one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    I assume the Sateelite in your signature is the one you're talking about? You mentioned you installed 2 updates; You uninstalled the IE 10, what was the other? Have you tried to uninstall that one? Or did the sys restore remove it?

go here and DL the appropiate audio drivers and install it http://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=2439371

click on drivers/updates then on the BLUE sound to the left and DL the correct drivers to the right. I believe you probably have realtek.

3. David_Jr

David_Jr Thread Starter

Yes the satellite in my signature is the one I'm talking about. Ok I downloaded and installed the driver from your link. The program restarted the computer and after restarting still no sound. Also just realized that I cannot play WMA either. Get a warning message saying Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file.

OK the other Windows update that installed is the following:

"Update for Windows (KB2749655)

Installation date: ‎5/‎25/‎2013 7:10 PM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Important

Fix for KB2749655

More information:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=2749655

Help and Support:
    http://support.microsoft.com"

More back story on this update; WU has been pushing this update to my laptop since October 2012, but it has failed every time. I finally went to Microsoft download center and downloaded it and installed it successfully the week prior to this sound problem occurrence. It still pushed it as an update with IE 10 last Saturday. I didn't think much of it at the time.

When I checked the Windows update history, oddly it now shows that IE 10 installed successfully on 5/25. I just checked IE and see that I am in fact using IE 10. This is frustrating. Also I do get the chirp sound when I push the up & down volume buttons at the top of my keyboard and the sound meter shows itself going up and down, but no sound when starting up the computer or when the desktop comes up or when I open the sound meter and touch it up and down from the mouse.

4. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    ok uninstall BOTH the updates. Then we will try something else.

5. David_Jr

David_Jr Thread Starter

Metallica, I have uninstalled BOTH updates and as of this writing miraculously my sound is working perfectly loud and clear through both the speakers and the headphone output!!!!!! You are a genius.

Now how do I keep them???

6. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    I wouldnt worry about them. NOT ALL updates are needed . when you get "updates are available" theONLY updates that are ALWAYS should be installed are "security " updates. the rest are not necessary all the time. just open windows updates and then hit check updates andfind the 2 that you uninstalled right click them and hit hide update.

7. David_Jr

David_Jr Thread Starter

OK I will hide the updates. That second update is not for security? Also any idea why my system reacted in such a way to Windows updates? Crazy.

8. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    if its a security update it will say "Windows Security Update". Personally I'm not sure why they do that but A lot of ppl have problems with different updates now and then.

9. David_Jr

David_Jr Thread Starter

Ok thx

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1100224

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice