1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] No sound with new motherboard

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by grandpaw7, Oct 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

I just gave birth to a new motherboard with a faster CPU and more RAM. But I have no sound. What should I do? Thanks, grandpaw&

2. Cowboy622

Cowboy622

You need to see if the new motherboard has on board sound, or if you have a sound card mounted into an ISA or PCI slot. Are your speakers plugged into a card or the motherbaord itself? If you haver a sound card, make sure it is seated properly and you may have to re-install the sound drivers. If you have on board sound you'll have to re-install your VIA chipset drivers for your motherboard. We need more information to adequately help you.

3. mobo

mobo

post the motherboard chipset by downloading Aida 32 and clicking o motherboard and chipset..

4. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

Chipset

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chipset Properties:
    Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8601A Apollo PLE133
    Thanks to motherboard and Cowboy 622.

Here is the chipset report:

Memory Slots:
    DRAM Slot #1 256 MB (SDRAM)
    DRAM Slot #2 128 MB (SDRAM)

AGP Properties:
    AGP Version 2.00
    AGP Status Enabled
    AGP Aperture Size 128 MB
    Supported AGP Speeds 1x, 2x, 4x
    Current AGP Speed 4x
    Fast-Write Not Supported
    Side Band Addressing Supported, Enabled

Chipset Manufacturer:
    Company Name VIA Technologies, Inc.
    Product Information http://www.via.com.tw/en/Products/prodindex.jsp

Cowboy622, sorry but I don speaka da lingo. I just don't know how to get the informtion you want me to find. While I don't see anything in the chipset report that seems to pertain to sound, I see it through ignornant eyes. I'll see what can be determined from the chipset report and then maybe if more info is needed, someone can tell me how to get to it.
    Thanks, grandpaw

5. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

I should add that I'm assuming that I sent the relevant part of the report. I didn't send the preliminarh stuff identifying my computer or the debug stuff because I didn't want to be too wordy. grandpaw7

6. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

I got the new motherboard because the computer place killed my old one when they were trying to upgrade the RAM and speed. My old one had a SiS 620 Chipset. I would have thought they would put that in the new motherboard. I have a CD with the drivers for the chipset.

I'm going to call the computer place when the open this morning, but before I do I'd like to find out if they did install the above SiS620 chipset. I assume that it would show up on the chipset report from AIDA32 posted above, but I'm not sure.

First question: is there some way to find out if the above chipset was installed on the new motherboard?

Second question: would there be any reason why the above chipset could not be installed on the new motherboard?

I want to be reasonably well informed when I call because I have a bit of a problem with the computer place. It claims that even though the old motherboard died while they were fiddling with it, they say they did nothing to cause it to die. So I had to buy a new motherboard but at a reduced price, and without any labor charge. I'm concerned that they may try to get out of providing a sound card unless I buy one.

If I do have to buy one, it there anything I should be aware of in choosing the kind I buy?

Thanks, grandpaw7

7. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

I asked the guy at the computer store how I could tell if I had a sounc card installed. He said if I have the sound plugins on the back of the computer, I have a sound card. That doesn't make sense to me. I assume that the plugins just mean that I can hook up to them but doesn't really tell me if I have a sound card installed. Isn't that right?

When I go to My Computer>properties>devices, under PCI bus, it shows a yellow question mark and "PCI Multimedia Audio Device". I presume that means I don't have the sound drivers. So I install them from the divice CD I got with the old computer. But PCI bus still shows the same thing. However, in Explorer it shows SiS_MM1.01b with a subfolder called utility. But the only subfoldes in the SiS is the utility one and one with the name DelsL1.isu. So I think that even though the device installation said that the installation was complete the stuff didn't get on my hard drive. And I assume that is why when I go to Find SiS, it shows a lot of files in D, where I have the driver installation disk.

So I'm wondering how I can get the stuff from the installation disk to the hard drive.

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi grandpaw, you should have a driver cd with the new motherboard.....choose update drivers for the PCI Multimedia item, and browse to the cd's soundcard or driver folder.

Also, if you bought the dang motherboard from them, and they installed it, they should have installed the sound drivers. I'd be ripping them a new butt hole :( And by the way, THEY should be able to tell you about the sound....sounds like a bunch of idiots to me :(

9. mobo

mobo

Download this zip file ac 97 zip then from the zip list select your operating system by double clicking on it. then from the new files select extract. then do so to the desktop. Then right click on the acaudio.inf and select install.

10. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

First, thanks to AcaCandy and Motherboard for their help.

It's a long tale, with many dips in the road, but I finally have the right driver and I now have sound.

I didn't even know I should have a driver CD with the new motherboard, so after AcaCandy's post I got to looking and, sure enough, there was one in the box under the old driver. But turns out that it, too, was the wrong driver and the store finally revealed that to me and that it had to download the correct driver from the web. But I did have them furnish me a CD with th new driver and with the website address for it.

I used this store (for the last time) because a supposedly unaffliated consumer service recommended it. The last time for using that service, too.

Thanks again, grandpaw7

P.S. Motherboard, thanks for the online driver. Turns out I didn't need it.

11. mobo

mobo

You 're welcome grandpa..

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169559

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice