1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] No sound

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ruken, Feb 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ruken

Ruken Thread Starter

I just bought a sound blaster Live! 5.1 sound card. I got it home uninstalled the old drivers, took out the old card, put in the new one, and installed the new drivers. To try it out I played a Mp3 in Windows Media Player but I couldn't hear anything.

I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling the sound card and the drivers, using different speakers, and using the windows 98 SE drivers and I still cant hear anything. I tried to open the help file but it said I didn't have SB Live! installed on this computer! I don't know what to do. Any help would be appreciated.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Does it appear in device manager? Any yellow exclamation marks?

Control panel, multi media, is it set as the default playback device?

Volume control icon in lower right hand corner? All volume levels up and nothing muted? (except perhaps microphone)

3. BTS '76

BTS '76

did you make sure the sound isn't muting on your desktop

4. Alanspatz

Alanspatz

If I were you I would do everything over again. Start at the first and do it slow.

aj

5. Ruken

Ruken Thread Starter

AcaCandy:

In the device manager I see two things with yellow marks on them. They are "PCI Multimedia Audio device" and " Creative Multimedia Audio device". I can't select anything on the menu that sets it as the default playback device. The little volume control icon was there before but now its not. I was thinking the same thing about the volume but I couldn't find the volume controller.

BTS '76:

How do I check that? I'm not sure I know what you mean.

Alanspatz:

I've done everything over a few times now with no luck.

6. BTS '76

BTS '76

there's a icon (looks like a speaker) on the lower right hand side of your desktop, next to the clock. double click that and make sure it is not muted and turned up.

those devices that are marked in your manager sound like the problem, but check the icon anyway.

7. ~Candy~

That's the problem then, you don't have the correct drivers installed, or the sound card can't find a free IRQ......

Can you hit the details to see what those items are crying about?

8. Ruken

Ruken Thread Starter

This is what the "Creative MultiMedia interface" says.

"The MMDEVLDR.VXD device loader(s) for this device could not load the device driver. (code 2.)"

And the "PCI Multimedia Audio Device"

"The drivers for this device are not installed (Code 28.)"

9. ~Candy~

Try removing them from device manager, don't restart....then run the add new hardware wizard. Don't allow Windows to find the drivers....you point it to the installation cd that came with the sound card.

10. Ruken

Ruken Thread Starter

A million thank yous! I can finally hear sound from my PC speakers! Thank you very much. I appreciate all your help. You really know your computer stuff! This place is great! :D :D :D

11. ~Candy~

Glad to have helped......have a great musical evening.........

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118123

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice