1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] No Sound

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by plibitz, Jan 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. plibitz

plibitz Thread Starter

I I recently re-formatted a hard drive and then installed win 98. I did this with the help on this site. Now I have gotten all of the device drivers re-installed and working perfectly with the exception of sound. The computer is a HP Pav model 6830mx.
    I went to the HP website and was able to find only general info.
    The device is a "Crystal sound chip on motherboard" I can't find any number on the chip. The controller is a AMC 97 codec. Where can I get a driver, Iv'e tried download guide but I don't know how to describe what i'm looking for. Thats the deal, thanks
    Gene

2. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi plibitz,
    I had a similar problem with a friends PC. She did a system restore in ME and lost her sound. I hope someone answer this It will help me also!

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

4. plibitz

plibitz Thread Starter

I've removed and reinstalled hardware (using hardware wizard) and it can't find the driver for the installed "Crystal sound chip" This is a sound chip integrated on the motherboard. It requires a driver that is only located on the win me disk and not on the win 98 disk that I have. It requires driver cs 4232. Without that it seems I'm face with the option of installing a seperate sound card. I do this for free for a non-profit agency, so that is a last spending money is a last resort.

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Are you sure it's 4232 and not 4332?

Cut and paste from the link I posted:

If the above steps do not restore sound, to remove a wrong, corrupt, or missing sound card driver, perform the following steps:

Choose the Windows Start button, Settings, and choose Control Panel.
    Double-click the System icon and then select the Device Manager tab.
    Choose the plus sign (+) next to "Sound, video and game controllers." If the Microsoft Sound System is listed, select it, and then choose Remove.
    Choose OK at the warning and repeat Steps 1 through 4 for each sound device driver listed under "Sound, video and game controllers."
    Choose the plus sign (+) next to "Other Detected Devices," select CS4332 Support Registers, and then choose Remove.
    Choose OK at the warning, and then choose Close.
    Close the Control Panel.
    Choose the Start button, Shut Down, select "Restart the computer?" and choose Yes.
    When the computer restarts, a message to restart will appear again. Choose Yes.
    The Crystal CS4232 Plug and Play audio hardware driver is now reinstalled.

6. plibitz

plibitz Thread Starter

It doesn"t work. CS4232 support registers does not appear. After removing all devices and restarting it still will not install sound driver.

7. ETS

ETS

I take it you don't have a copy of the WinMe CD. How about 95?

8. plibitz

plibitz Thread Starter

No, just 98se

9. supertech

supertech

10. plibitz

plibitz Thread Starter

Thanks, but I tried there, and at mcdrivers, the manufacturers sites, motherboard sites..........no luck. Anyway, I broke down and installed a $15.00 sound card and now it all works good.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65331

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice