1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] No Sound

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gordon1972, Jan 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gordon1972

gordon1972 Thread Starter

Hi I have recently put a USB onto my mother board and since doing so have got no sound whatsoever. B4 I put the USB on to my motherboard the sound was very ropey anyway, if I played a game, it would be okay but as soon as started shooting it would sound scratchy and sound likie it was crashing and repeating, the soundcard is built to the mother board(a jetway 524) any ideas. These are my IRQ's.
    0 System timer
    1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    2 Programmable interrupt controller
    3 Communications Port (COM2)
    4 Communications Port (COM1)
    5 OPTi Plug-N-Play Sound System
    6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    7 ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
    8 System CMOS/real time clock
    9 PLANET ENW-9503/04 PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
    9 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    10 OPTi Plug-N-Play MPU-401
    11 ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller
    11 NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro
    11 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
    13 Numeric data processor
    14 ALi Primary IDE controller (Ultra DMA)
    14 ALi Bus Master PCI to IDE Controller
    15 ALi Secondary IDE controller (Ultra DMA)
    15 ALi Bus Master PCI to IDE Controller

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi Gordon, I don't see anything there that would stop the sound from working.

Do you have windows startup sounds?

3. gordon1972

Hi no sounds at all

4. ~Candy~

Let's look at a few things.

Since you were playing inside the computer, you probably had to disconnect your speakers....are they plugged back in correctly? Double check the little microscopic icons to be sure.

Next, check the volume control icon in the lower right hand corner. Is anything muted there? If you don't have a bunch of stuff showing up, go to options, properties, and place a check mark in all the boxes under playback.

Open up the sound recorder (start button, programs, accessories) and locate a wave file......what happens when you hit the play button.....does the file appear to play or do you get an error message?

5. rewep

rewep

Let me tell you onboard sound is never any good. if all else fails you may just want to go out and buy yourself a new soundcard.

But before that, check in your system properties (right click on my computer, and hit properties, then click on the device manager tab) under sound, video, and game controllers look to see if anything is flagged.

It may be as simple as your drivers need to be reinstalled or there is a hardware conflict.

If nothing is flagged, try reinstalling the drivers anyway, go onto the net and get the most recent ones for your card and see if that helps.

If it still won't work, check in your BIOS to make sure that somehow it isn't disabled.. When your computer is starting up (typical on the first screen that appears after pressing the power button) press the escape key (with some bios it is also the f1, f2, or del key) once in your bios just look for anything having to do with your sound and make sure that it's enabled.

Then, like the other guy said just make sure your speakers are connected right.. AND TURNED ON. you wouldn't believe how many times it's as simple as that. and also try the volume control and that other stuff as well.

Once all else has failed, just buy yourself a new sound card. :)

Hope I could help.

6. gordon1972

cheers all x x x x

7. gordon1972

Hi I have no sound, I have a opti 931 sound card and just installed a usb onto my motherboard and eversince, no sound. I have reinstalkled the drivers.

any ideas

8. brianF

brianF

go to start/run/type msinfo32 and press enter. choose hardware environment/choose irq's. Is the sound card getting an irq. You can use the edit menu, select all, edit menu, copy and paste the list back here.

Sounds like the usb grabbed the sound card irq

You may want to try and remove the sound card in device manager, then reboot, let it reinstall, reinstall the drivers and hope it grabs a different irq

Is the sound card onboard, if not, move the card to a different pci slot to force it to another irq

9. gordon1972

0 System timer
    1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    2 Programmable interrupt controller
    3 Communications Port (COM2)
    4 Communications Port (COM1)
    5 OPTi Plug-N-Play Sound System
    6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    7 ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
    8 System CMOS/real time clock
    9 PLANET ENW-9503/04 PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
    9 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    10 OPTi Plug-N-Play MPU-401
    11 ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller
    11 NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro
    12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
    13 Numeric data processor
    14 ALi Primary IDE controller (Ultra DMA)
    14 ALi Bus Master PCI to IDE Controller
    15 ALi Secondary IDE controller (Ultra DMA)
    15 ALi Bus Master PCI to IDE Controller

Hi I have removed the sound and rebooted,

regards

10. ~Candy~

Gordon, I've merged your new thread with the one we've been working on.....it will be of great help to brianF and anyone else willing to help you if everyone knows what you've already tried....

Please keep posting back to this thread instead of opening a new one :)

11. gordon1972

Hi I know I am sad and am really sorry but have realised that I have the plugged the speaker in the wrong port.

12. ~Candy~

Well, then I guess that explains why I didn't see anything wrong with the IRQs :)

Thanks so much for letting us know.....some people wouldn't have come back and told us....don't feel bad though, it happens WAY more often than you think.....

so I take it you have sound and we can mark this one solved?

13. gordon1972

Hi, I still have crap sound but am going to buy a decent soundcard tomorrow. I am new to this and didnt think anyone will look at it, but will do when I have problems with this new soundcard haha.
    I have emailed a few computer mags recommending this site, but is there anything else I can do to promote it I would be obliged to help.

Gordon

14. ~Candy~

Sometimes crap sound is better than no sound :)

Sounds like you've given us enough promo! Thanks!

If you have any problems with your new sound card, DO open a new thread, as it will be unrelated to these problems here :)

Have a great day!

15. rewep

rewep

Don't feel bad, I've plugged my sound into the wrong port many a times myself, and instead of checking that first I've actually reformatted my drive and reinstalled WinBlows. So don't feel like a dummy, live and learn like some people always say. :) Anyway yeah a new card should help.. ones that are built in typically are no good (like mine). Well, take it easy, keep coming back.. we're here to help. :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66054

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice