1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: No sound

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by rdooski3, Apr 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rdooski3

rdooski3 Thread Starter

Ok so my sound was on my pc was working fine yesterday and now its not. Everything seems to be fine, device is enabled and it says its working, definitely not my speakers/amp, its not muted and the cable isn't unplugged. When playing a song through WMP the song plays fine and the graphics move. The only thing that Ive noticed is different is when I click on the little speaker in the toolbar it doesn't show the output level "jumping" up and down on the volume level bar. Can someone please help? Thanks.

2. rdooski3

rdooski3 Thread Starter

Bump

Please does any1 have any suggestions? When I said tool-bar I ment task-bar.

3. lunarlander

lunarlander

Did you install any new software ?

4. antech

antech Banned

Loose wires?

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

6. rdooski3

rdooski3 Thread Starter

I ran a system restore to a point before the problem and after my pc booted up it gave me a message saying that an unspecified error had occurred during the restore and the systems files and settings were not changed. So I tried it again at an earlier point and got the same message. After that I decided to test the audio anyways and it worked! The output level still doesn't jump as mentioned before. Weird. Also I hadn't installed any new software. But thanks guys for your help!!

7. antech

antech Banned

It means that the problem has been partially solved.
    Not Fully although..
    If I were you, I would have not marked it as solved now,until the bar jumps up and down.
    Some files might have got corrupted.
    Try these steps:
    1. Go to run by pressing the " Windows Logo + R " combination.
    2. Type "cmd".
    3. Again type "chkdsk /r" in the black window that comes up without the quotes

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Antech is probably right that you have some disk corruption and it is not a bad idea to run chkdsk.

However you need to get System Restore working as whatever fixed the problem -- it was not SR.

chkdsk is unlikely to repair it on its own -- so you really need to turn it off, then turn it back on again to delete the entire System Restore cache and start fresh with it. This will enable you to use SR for future problems (not the present one if any remain).

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=31668

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916708

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice