1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: No Sound

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by ladymemi, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ladymemi

ladymemi Thread Starter

I have a monitor that has speakers but I can't seem to get the sound to work. I don't know if I have a sound card in my computer or not. I know when I get mail or do something that I'm not suppose to do I hear a faint beep sound, but not the normal windows notification sound. So can someone tell me how I can check & fix the problem?

Thanks

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    It might help if your told us ...

1) Brand and model number of the monitor with the built-in speakers

2) Brand and model number of the computer.

3) Exactly what Operating System (Windows) you are using.

4) Are there any sound output jacks on the computer?

5) Exactly what kind of cables are connecting the monitor to the computer?

3. ladymemi

ladymemi Thread Starter

Brand of Monitor is Dell - Model # I think is AS500 but can't be sure about that.
    Computer is Systemax Venture
    Windows XP
    Yes there is Sound output jacks
    I have the regular cable with the blue end that connects to the computer, also the green cable that goes to the computer at the bottom in the green hole I also have another cord that ele. cord that plugs in to the montor with a male part on the montor and the female part that plugs in the the ele. socket. it has like a square battary pack connected to it. atleast that is what I call it.
    But looking on my system I see in my device manger there are the yellow ? under other devices that has 2 ? under it named Media Audio Controller & Video Controler (VGA Compatible)
    Under the "Sound, Video & game controller I have :
    Audio Codecs
    Legacy Audio Drivers
    Legacy Video Capture Devices
    Media Control Devices
    Video Codeecs
    All says - This device is working properly.
    Also Under System Devices- System Speakers- No drivers are installed for this device. But the plug & Play says its working properly

OK, I hope this helps and thank you for answering me back.

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Do you have a set of stereo headphones that you can use to test the audio output from the computer? If you can not hear anything (system sounds, media player, audio on web sites, etc.) check the volume control settings in the task bar.

I am not sure about the no drivers for system speakers problem, I am going to have to look into that one a bit.

5. ladymemi

ladymemi Thread Starter

No sounds with the headphones, also I can not turn up the volume because that and the speaker buttons are not highlighted for me to do anything with them.

6. ladymemi

ladymemi Thread Starter

OK, I have fixed the problem. I needed to download the sound drive, I went to the Systemax website & downloaded the Realtek intergrated 6 sound drive.

Thanks for you help with this

7. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Glad to hear that you were able to figure it out. I am not sure why the Realtek device did not show up under "Sound, Video and game controllers" with an missing driver error status.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919784

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice