1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: no souno sound and limited display after reformatting computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ed76, Jun 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ed76

ed76 Thread Starter

i did a complete reformat of my 6 year old dell dimension 4600 and when it was done my speakers and microphone did not work at all. my dell 1704fpt colour monitor has very limited display. there is no gradient in the colour so it is very basic in display.

in the disk of drivers that came with my computer no sound nor sound drivers that i have installed work properly. the driver i downloaded from dell.com for my monitor did not install.:confused:
    please help:eek:

2. ed76

ed76 Thread Starter

sorry fixed the the monitor problem, found the driver. however if anyone can help with the sound please

3. vicks

vicks

Try going into device manager (right click on my computer, select properties, hardware,
    device manager). What is listed for sound/audio, is there a yellow exclamation mark or question mark there?
    vicks

4. ed76

ed76 Thread Starter

there are about 5 drivers under sound and video but there is a yellow question mark on multimedia audio controller

5. vicks

vicks

Try this: right click on the multimedia audio controller, select remove.
    Reboot the computer and let Windows fine/reinstall during boot. I think this will fix the problem.
    Post back and let us know how it goes.
    vicks

6. ed76

ed76 Thread Starter

i right clicked that and clicked update and that worked
    thanks vicks

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/837002

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice