1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: No Video Input

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by -bOuNcYoNe-, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. -bOuNcYoNe-

-bOuNcYoNe- Thread Starter

Trying to help a mate get his PC up and running its about 1 yr old I will post specific specs when I see him next, its been running fine then all of a sudden he just got a " no video input " going across his Lcd screen I first thought Video card but he says he tried another and same prob he also said he tried another monitor and same I plan to check these things again when I see him tomorrow..Should there be anything else I should be looking for??

2. xtreampb

xtreampb

drivers

3. thechanmane

thechanmane

He could just be a very unlucky person and both failed around the same time, possibly due to a power surge. Just for clarification, did he try the new monitor with the new graphics card? Are there any other circumstances that led up to this problem? Was he using it and it just went blank, or did he boot it up and nothing showed? Also, more of a check for the obvious, is the computer booting? Does it POST?

4. jdl

jdl

Same thing with another monitor...and the same thing with a new video card. Did I get that right. Not much between the card and the monitor except the cable. Might check that.

5. thechanmane

thechanmane

Does the old graphics card still work in the computer? Is the computer actually booting or does it freeze before it POSTs?

6. -bOuNcYoNe-

He said to me it posts all fans are running led's working/flashing I will be there later this evening so will be able to post more then.. I think its monitor related the model is Phillips 170s5 15" LCD

7. -bOuNcYoNe-

Ive got the PC at my house now tried hooking it up to one of my old crt's but no (so not monitor related) good that would be too easy LOL Im going to pull out all components except for the basics (not sure if it will do any good) have to install one of those mini speakers that came with the motherboard I have one somewhere reason being is I cant hear if it passes post...

I cant see any HDD activity will check the front panel headers are correct..

This isnt looking good..

8. xtreampb

xtreampb

how far have you gotten

narrowed anything down yet

9. -bOuNcYoNe-

Ive pretty much narrowed down that its not the monitor as I have tried a few including the one im using now to view these forums and none showed any display jsut the above mentioned "no video Input" Im thinking change the video card just a cheapie to test my theory if thats the solution I'll let him know...

One thing bothers me....Shouldnt I be seing some Hdd activity even though the adaptor is faulty?? Or if Post fails at VGA does the PC just IDLE??

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Are you getting anything during post ie you see drives detected, etc?

11. -bOuNcYoNe-

Just a blank screen with " no video input " roaming no display what so ever..

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Ok then it is not a driver problem. To attempt to troubleshoot do this.
    1 Open the case and pull power from ALL drives both hd and optical.
    2 Pull any add-in cards ie sound, nic, etc leave in your video card.
    3 Disconnect any usb device; disconnect any printer, scanner, card reader.
    4 Have just your keyboard and monitor connected. Now attempt to power up the system.

If it does post, shutdown and connected devices one at a time until you find the failed one. If it does not post, you will need to swap parts with known good ones ie power supply, ram, cpu, motherboard.

FWIW I would bet either the power supply or the motherboard has failed.

13. thechanmane

thechanmane

At this point, i would have to agree with crjdriver. The most likely cause of you problems is the motherboard or power supply. Test each component one at a time until the computer turns on. The motherboard will probably be the hardest to test, unless you have an extra compatible motherboard sitting around :). If you can test everything else, then by process of elimination, the motherboard is most likely the cause. At any rate, keep us up to date with any progress or developments.

14. -bOuNcYoNe-

Thanks guys will do, just obtained a MSI PM8M-V , Socket 478 mobos arent easy to find will try all this out tonight..

15. -bOuNcYoNe-

turned out it was a the southbridge and agp port that where blown hence the video card went too new mobo as mentioned sorted the problem..

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541655

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice