1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: No video, keyboard or mouse function after replacing processor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shags68, Nov 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shags68

shags68 Thread Starter

I had to replace my amd 64 3400+ processor. I replaced it, after 1 week, with the same make model processor. After doing so, the computer powered on, but with no video output and no keyboard or mouse function. The keyboard and mouse are wireless. There is no ight on the keyboard, mouse, or receiver. The usb ports do seem to have power since they did power my external hard drive. I did that to test of they were providing power. The monitor states "no video input" Should I use a wired keyboard and reset the bios settings?

Thank You for any help you can give.

2. shags68

shags68 Thread Starter

Everything else powers up. The out fan and cpu fan turn on, the video card fan also turns on (louder than normal). The disk drives and rom drives start up. I just have no video, wireless keyboard, or wireless mouse. The video card may be going, but that doesnt explain the mouse and keyboard.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I doubt the computer is doing anything more the just powering on.

Are you sure the processor is good and its the exact same model with the same stepping? Check the numbers printed on both processors, there can be several versions of the same basic model. Also check the pins to make sure non of them have bent.

Also what happened to the old processor? Maybe whatever the issue was before it wasn't the processor.

4. shags68

shags68 Thread Starter

The only problem in the begginning was that there was loud fan noise. I was afraid the cpu fan was going and didnt want to run the risk of burning out the processor. Turns out, it was the fan on the video card getting loud, but it the computer was still fully functional. I didnt learn that it was the video card fan until it was too late.
    I was told by someone else, who must have been just as clueless as I was, that it either the cpu fan, or a heavy buildup of dust in the heat sink. (which there was and I cleaned)
    It got worse when I went to radio shack for a new fan and heat sink and removed the heat sink. It had pulled the processor out with it. The guy at radio shack told me to buy the heat sink from HP, because of its unique bottom (with all the pins on it) Unbelievable how clueless we were both were. Anyway, I damaged the pins on the processor when I tried to the heat sink back in (forcibly). I later broke two pins trying to straighten them. The socket was not damaged. I took it to best buy, they told me the pins were part of the processor, and directed me to get a new one. I bought the processor and just installed it. The only specs I knew to look for was AMD athlon 64 3400+ with 754 socket. It went in just fine. Now everything powers up, but no functioning by the mouse, keyboard, and monitor. I am going to try a wired keyboard to see if there is any life.

5. jackdw

jackdw

Have you tried clearing the CMOS/BIOS using the jumpers on the motherboard? One of the old computers I have needs a CMOS clear every time it's hardware changes.

6. shags68

shags68 Thread Starter

Clearing the CMOS worked. Thank you to both of you for your time and your help. I am so happy that I don't have to buy a new computer yet, especially since I made the problem a hundred times worse. Now I just have to change the loud, but working video card. And I wont forget to make a donation.

7. jackdw

jackdw

No problem. Thanks for letting us know it worked and setting the thread as solved.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/647156

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice